[News] Honeywell Gives a Gesture to Freedom/Openness; Open Access Successes

  • Subject: [News] Honeywell Gives a Gesture to Freedom/Openness; Open Access Successes
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 May 2010 18:09:38 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Honeywell Goes Open Source, Grabs Akuacom

,----[ Quote ]
| The smart grid shopping spree keeps going
| this week. Building automation giant
| Honeywell said on Friday that it has bought
| demand response firm Akuacom, for an
| undisclosed price. The news comes days
| after Swiss electrical giant ABB said it
| plans to throw down more than $1 billion
| for smart grid software player Ventyx (The
| Smart Grid Acquisition Tally . . . So Far).
`----

http://earth2tech.com/2010/05/07/honeywell-goes-open-source-grabs-akuacom/

PLoS ONE and botanical pioneer helps to bring open-access taxonomy a step closer

,----[ Quote ]
| There are several thousand new plant
| species described every year, published in
| a range of plant taxonomy journals and
| other venues. Publishing another
| description might not be seen as a
| particularly earth-shattering event but we
| are enormously proud to be able to publish
| Sandra Knappâs new paper on four new vining
| species in PLOS ONE today as it represents
| a turning point for PLoS and for botanical
| nomenclature. The paper is a botanical
| pioneer: it is the first to be published in
| an online-only journal whilst adhering to
| the strict botanical code that sets out how
| new species can be named.
`----

http://everyone.plos.org/2010/05/05/newplantspecies/

Copyright: a Conditional Intellectual Monopoly

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2010/05/copyright-conditional-intellectual.html

Recent:

WWW2010: How a big-deal conference does open content

,----[ Quote ]
| Last week, Internet luminaries from around
| the globe descended upon Raleigh, NC for
| the WWW2010 conference.  The theme for 2010
| was openness, and that (along with its
| proximity to Red Hat HQ) made this year's
| events particularly exciting.
`----

http://opensource.com/life/10/5/www2010-conference-summary

Governor Schwarzenegger Announces Results of Free Digital Textbook Initiative
Phase Two Announces 17 New Standards-Aligned Free Digital Textbooks Available
for Californiaâs Classrooms

,----[ Quote ]
| Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger today
| announced the results of the second phase
| of his first-in-the-nation free Digital
| Textbook Initiative to provide Californiaâs
| students and teachers with free, high-
| quality open educational resources.
| Seventeen free digital textbooks for high
| school history, science and higher-level
| math were reviewed against Californiaâs
| rigorous academic content standards and are
| now available for use in Californiaâs
| classrooms.
`----

http://gov.ca.gov/press-release/15050/

The Future of Open Data Looks LikeâGithub?

,----[ Quote ]
| Iâm sure there are others. Still, the
| future to me in this area seems clear:
| weâre going to see transformation of
| datasets incorporated into the
| marketplaces. As the demand for public data
| increases, the market will demand higher
| quality, easier to work with data. With
| that demand will come supply, one way or
| another. Thereâs little sense in having
| each individual consumer of the data
| replicate the same steps to make it usable.
| The question will be which one of the
| marketplaces learns from Github and its
| brethren first.
`----

http://redmonk.com/sogrady/2010/05/04/open-data-github/

EU KLEMS Growth and Productivity Accounts

,----[ Quote ]
| The November 2009 release is an update of
| the March 2008 release. It provides data up
| to 2007, but for a limited set of variables
| and industries (32 instead of 72
| industries).
`----

http://www.euklems.net/index.html