[News] The Glass Half Full at Oracle: ZFS, VirtualBox, OpenOffice.org

  • Subject: [News] The Glass Half Full at Oracle: ZFS, VirtualBox, OpenOffice.org
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 May 2010 18:18:52 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Nexenta Leverages OpenSolaris and ZFS for Enterprise Storage

http://www.enterprisestorageforum.com/technology/article.phpr/3880631/

VirtualBox Continues To Gain Under Oracle

,----[ Quote ]
| VirtualBox 3.2 Beta 1 brought experimental
| support for Mac OS X guests, memory
| ballooning, CPU hot-plugging, new
| hypervisor features, RDP video
| acceleration, and much more. With
| VirtualBox 3.2 Beta 2, Oracle has
| introduced Java bindings for VirtualBox,
| numerous GUI enhancements, fixes for Ubuntu
| 10.04 LTS guests, new icons, performance
| optimizations, and various other fixes.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODIyMg

FSF launches free software extension listing for OpenOffice.org

,----[ Quote ]
| The Free Software Foundation (FSF) today
| announced a project to assemble a
| replacement extension library for
| OpenOffice.org, which will list only those
| extensions which are free software, at
| http://www.fsf.org/openoffice.
|
| "OpenOffice.org is free software, and an
| important contribution to the free software
| community. However, the program offers the
| user a library of extensions, and some of
| them are proprietary. Distributing
| OpenOffice.org in the usual way has the
| effect of offering users the nonfree
| extensions too," said FSF executive
| director Peter Brown.
`----

http://www.fsf.org/news/fsf-launches-free-software-extension-listing-for-openoffice.org

Recent:

James Gosling praises Oracle's Java technology updates

,----[ Quote ]
| Although Java founder James Gosling has left
| Oracle apparently under less-than-cordial
| circumstances, he still can be found
| championing Java technologies now sponsored
| by Oracle.
`----

http://www.techworld.com.au/article/345251/james_gosling_praises_oracle_java_technology_updates?fp=2&fpid=1&rid=1

Why Java could thrive at Oracle