[News] Apple and Microsoft Confirm That They Are Foes of Web Standards, HTML5/Theora Grow Stronger Regardless

  • Subject: [News] Apple and Microsoft Confirm That They Are Foes of Web Standards, HTML5/Theora Grow Stronger Regardless
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 May 2010 18:23:56 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Why Open Digital Standards Matter in Government

http://stop.zona-m.net/digiworld/why-open-digital-standards-matter-government

Online video wars

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple and Microsoft join to fight Opera and
| Firefox
|
| The next big evolution of the Internet will
| be in the realm of video playing. Until now
| the rapid growth of online video has been
| built on Adobe's Flash technology. Flash
| has always been a workable solution but not
| the best platform because it requires an
| additional plugin to be installed before
| users can view video.
`----

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/software/12292-Online-video-wars.html

Mozilla, HTML5 editor differ with Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is agitating for "same markup,"
| described this way: "Web browsers should
| render the same markup--the same HTML, same
| CSS, and same script--the same way. That's
| simply not the case today. Enabling the
| same markup to work the same across
| different browsers is as crucial for
| HTML5's success as performance."
|
| But today's practice, while messy and
| plagued with incompatibilities, reflects
| the notion that it's a good idea to test
| new technologies in the real world before
| solidifying them as a real standard.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20004291-264.html

Is HTML5 Ready To Take Over From Flash?

,----[ Quote ]
| Here a branding expert demonstrates that
| the sites of 10 out of 10 leading worldwide
| brands don't display on the iPad â because
| they're coded in Flash, of course.
`----

http://developers.slashdot.org/story/10/05/07/1259205/Is-HTML5-Ready-To-Take-Over-From-Flash

HTML5 and the Web

http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/201x/2010/05/05/HTML5-and-the-Web

Opera (Like Apple) Criticizes Adobeâs Flash

,----[ Quote ]
| Adobeâs Flash now faces two outspoken
| critics: First Apple, now Opera â the web
| browser provider. Apparently, Opera Product
| Analyst Phillip GrÃnvold has some concerns
| about Flash and its influence over the Web.
| For VARs that are advising customers on Web
| development and design strategies, this
| story is too important to ignore. Hereâs
| why.
`----

http://www.thevarguy.com/2010/05/07/opera-like-apple-criticizes-adobes-flash/

The State of Flash

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple, Microsoft, Opera and now Scribd have
| all spoken out about Adobe's platform. What
| does this mean for open source?
|
| [...]
|
| But this isn't quite the open source
| victory it seems to be. If HTML5 becomes
| the Web standard, there are plenty of
| people championing patented, proprietary
| codecs for video, specifically Apple and
| Microsoft who have both backed h.264. And
| while the user will ultimately be able to
| choose which codec handles video in an
| HTML5 environment, there is also talk from
| Jobs himself of pursuing open source video
| codec Theora for patent infringement.
`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/News/The-State-of-Flash

The future of the Internet is here: non-English extensions hit the Web

,----[ Quote ]
| Kim has already written a quick blog post
| on the launch, highlighting the Egyptian
| Ministry of Communications and IT, which is
| at the end of one of three top-level
| domains that have gone live.
|
| It is hard to describe the importance of
| this step. It has been years, literally
| years, of conversation and discussion and
| engineering to get to this point. And that
| point is: the Internetâs core
| infrastructure can now deal with non-ASCII
| language. Which means that the Arabic-
| speaking world, the Chinese-speaking world,
| the Hindi-speaking world, in fact the
| majority of people on the planet can
| finally use the Internet natively without
| this strange American structure that makes
| you puts, for example, â.comâ at the end of
| every domain.
`----

http://kierenmccarthy.com/2010/05/05/the-future-of-the-internet-is-here-non-english-extensions-hit-the-web/

The Future of Reading is Open

,----[ Quote ]
| Today, Scribd is changing the way you read
| documents online. Over the next few weeks
| and months, Scribd will convert our entire
| content corpus â tens of millions of
| documents, books and presentations â into
| native HTML5 web pages so that we can offer
| the best online reading experience. Scribd
| documents in HTML5 load instantly, support
| native browser functions (zoom, search,
| scroll, select text), and deliver an
| impressive reading experience across all
| browsers and web-enabled devices, without
| requiring add-ons or plug-ins.
`----

http://blog.scribd.com/2010/05/06/the-future-of-reading-is-open/

If you care about the Web, boycott Apple and Microsoft. They
have done enough to abduct HTML WG already.

Recent:

Ogg Theora vs. H.264: head to head comparisons

,----[ Quote ]
| Streaming video websites like YouTube face
| growing pressure from consumers to provide
| support for native standards-based Web video
| playback. The HTML5 video element provides the
| necessary functionality to build robust Web
| media players without having to depend on
| proprietary plugins, but the browser vendors
| have not been able to build a consensus around
| a video codec.
|
| Although the h264 codec has gained dominance
| due to its excellent compression and broad
| support in the consumer electronics ecosystem,
| it is covered by patents that preclude broad
| royalty-free usage. Several browser vendors,
| including Opera and Mozilla, favor the Ogg
| Theora media codec, which is believed to be
| unencumbered by patents. Ogg may offer
| advantages from a licensing standpoint, but
| there are still many unanswered questions
| about its quality and suitability for Internet
| video streaming services.
|
| [...]
|
| Some streaming video experts, including Ozer,
| are not convinced that royalty-free VP8 will
| solve all of the problems that the industry is
| facing with standards-based video. He contends
| that the cost of reencoding existing content
| will make it difficult for streaming content
| providers to adopt alternatives to h264 at
| this stage regardless of whether the
| alternative is royalty-free.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2010/02/ogg-theora-vs-h264-head-to-head-comparisons.ars