[News] Geekbox Boots GNU/Linux from USB, Sony Vaio Comes with GNU/Linux Desktop

  • Subject: [News] Geekbox Boots GNU/Linux from USB, Sony Vaio Comes with GNU/Linux Desktop
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 00:06:28 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Geekbox

,----[ Quote ]
| Taking a break from Mumbuntu blog posts. I
| mentioned this on the latest epsiode of the
| Ubuntu Podcast that we released yesterday. I
| see Fab from Linux Outlaws has blogged about
| his geekbox.
`----

http://popey.com/blog/2010/02/18/geekbox/

Sony VAIO VPCEC1M1E/WI review

,----[ Quote ]
| Three hotkeys are fitted on the chassis, just
| above the keyboard. The Assist button helps
| you diagnose and solve any issues you may
| have with the laptop, while the Web button
| lets you boot up a secondary, Linux-based
| operating system for browsing the web without
| starting up Windows 7.
`----

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/laptops-portable-pcs/laptops-and-netbooks/sony-vaio-vpcec1m1e-wi-687405/review

Recent:

Sony Vaio E series: PC with a panic button Sony Vaio E series: PC with a panic button

,----[ Quote ]
| Shut the Vaio E down, and the Web button fires
| up a browser without booting into Windows
| proper. Sony says this minimalist browser,
| which runs on top of Linux, wonât let you save
| data, but will eke out the Vaio E seriesâ
| battery up to three times longer than using
| Windows to hop online.
`----

http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2010/02/02/sony-vaio-e-series-pc-with-a-panic-button/

PHOTOS: Sony Vaio CW

,----[ Quote ]
| The Vaio button under the screen will launch
| the Splashtop Linux OS, allowing you almost
| instant access to the Internet and saving
| you from having to start-up Windows 7
| proper.
`----

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/27782/sony-vaio-cw-laptop-photos

Vaio P Is Classic Sony: Excellent but Pricey

,----[ Quote ]
| The keyboard is also small, another common netbook characteristic. On the
| other hand, Sony manages to stamp a mark of innovation on the product as it
| weighs half as much as a typical netbook and packs in features like fast
| wireless, a pre-boot Linux environment and a screen capable of displaying a
| 1,600x768 resolution, while most netbooks only have a 1,024x600 resolution
| capacity.
`----

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/life-times/article/10818.html

Sony Vaio P Review

,----[ Quote ]
| Sony also includes a Linux-based instant-on interface that uses the PS3-like
| Xross Media Bar UI but its implementation is a mixed bag. The raw
| functionality and design of the software is decent, allowing you to access
| music, photos, movies, messaging software and a custom version of Firefox.
| But some of the visual design and nuanced functionality are lacking to the
| point where you'd rather just launch Vista.
`----

http://i.gizmodo.com/5131637/sony-vaio-p-review?skyline=true&s=x

The Race to Instant-On Computers Begins

,----[ Quote ]
| But rather than the oft-discussed head-to-head battle between Linux and
| Windows, weâre seeing Linux latch onto Windows almost like a parasite in a
| symbiotic relationship with its host.
|
| All of the shipping or soon-to-ship instant-on systems use a thinned-down
| version of Linux as a base for presenting the quick Internet applications.
| This makes sense because computer makers can customize Linux to boot fast and
| use the software for free, meaning they donât add much extra cost to each
| computer.
`----

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/10/27/the-race-to-instant-on-computers-begins/

Faster booting with Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The intriguing part of all this is that we might finally get the instant-on
| capability for some pretty standard apps. The bizarre part is that the way to
| speed up your slow OS load it you actually load two different OSes. Sort of
| like running a five-kilometer race before you run your marathon. Meanwhile,
| Microsoft is now stating that similar technology could be part of Windows 7,
| presumably in 2010 and without using any of that open source voodoo.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2008/10/faster_booting.html

DeviceVM's proprietary/Linux split explained

,----[ Quote ]
| Covering Asus' adoption of DeviceVM's Splashtop software in all its
| motherboards and some laptops, we were wondering exactly which parts were
| proprietary and which were Linux - hence pulling back from calling it
| a "Linux OS".
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10008346o-2000331761b,00.htm

Related:

Linux is Part of Asusâs Long Term Plan

,----[ Quote ]
| Asus announced three new Linux products.
|
| I would even go so far to say that if Asus keeps up its support of Linux, it
| may be the company that is credited with bringing Linux on the desktop to the
| masses.
`----

http://www.linuxloop.com/news/2008/02/02/linux-is-part-of-asuss-long-term-plan/

Feeling the heat at Microsoft