[News] Proprietary Games Coming to GNU/Linux

At This Rate, Don't Be Surprised If You See Steam Soon

,----[ Quote ]
| Just a few hours ago we reported on the
| progress by those within the Phoronix
| community working to get the Steam client
| running as much as possible based upon
| Valve's Steam Linux binaries that are
| inconspicuously housed on their servers. By
| making some modifications to the Steam
| client binary and libraries, as of this
| morning they are up to the point of
| displaying the main Steam UI window. Just
| hours after that, the Steam Friends' UI is
| now being partially drawn along with other
| windows.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODIzMA

Those Digging Into Steam On Linux Make More Progress

,----[ Quote ]
| If you're not already aware, Valve's Steam
| client and Source Engine are coming to
| Linux. It's something we have been talking
| about for weeks now along with those in the
| Phoronix community via our forums and IRC.
| If you're not up-to-date on our coverage,
| read Investigating The Steam Linux Client
| Continues and Here's The First Screenshot
| Of The Linux Steam Client. However, if you
| are up to speed, here is the newest
| screenshot exhibiting the latest progress
| to the Steam Linux client.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODIyOQ

I Don't Think Games Have To Be Open Source

http://penguinpetes.com/b2evo/index.php?title=i_don_t_think_games_have_to_be_open_sour&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

The State Of Mac And GNU/Linux Gaming â By Wolfire Games

,----[ Quote ]
| The present is also much better then 5
| years ago and we see constant improvement
| each year.
| I very much agree with Davidâs post,
| specially about the fact that most
| GNU/Linux ports came way after the original
| Windows release, which harms the sales and
| in many cases lowers the game âworthâ (if
| the port is made several years after the
| Windows release for example, and yeah it
| did happen many times).
`----

http://lgn.linux-hardcore.com/the-state-of-mac-and-gnulinux-gaming-by-wolfire-games/

Stepping in the right direction. Some games adopt GPL later.

Recent:

The MMORPG Ryzom goes Free Software!

,----[ Quote ]
| Winch Gate Properties Ltd, the developer and
| publisher of massively-multiplayer online
| science-fantasy role playing games, is proud
| to announce the release of the source code
| and artistic assets of the popular MMORPG
| Ryzom to the Free Software Development
| Community.
`----

http://dev.ryzom.com/news/13

Ryzom MMORPG Released As Free Software

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODIyMQ

Investigating The Steam Linux Client Continues

,----[ Quote ]
| The Steam Linux client still appears to be
| heavily in development, but the real
| breakthrough came on May Day when members
| within the Phoronix community managed to get
| the Steam Linux client running up to the
| point of showing the log-in window. This
| came after several independent enthusiasts
| were tracing the calls made by the closed-
| source content delivery program and making
| modifications to fix certain issues to get
| the client running further along.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODIxOQ

Ryzom Down: What's Next?