[News] In Re Bilski to Resume Next Week (Software Patents Potentially at Stake)

  • Subject: [News] In Re Bilski to Resume Next Week (Software Patents Potentially at Stake)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 07:35:15 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

No Bilski Blockbuster from Supreme Court Today

,----[ Quote ]
| The Supreme Court handed down two
| relatively low-profile decisions this
| morning, leaving to another day some of the
| most-awaited cases of the term like Bilski
| v. Kappos, the business-methods patent-
| eligibility case that was argued last Nov.
| 9. The Court won't be in session again
| until May 17.
`----

http://legaltimes.typepad.com/blt/2010/05/no-bilski-blockbuster-from-supreme-court-today.html

Justice Stevens: To Life, To Life, LâChaim

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2010/05/05/justice-stevens-to-life-to-life-lchaim/

Problems in Re Bilski for SCOTUS

,----[ Quote ]
| The âamicusâ briefs were piled high with
| supporters of software patents. They were all
| trying to dodge the issue one way or another.
| Even Bilski and the opposition both skirted
| the issue as best they could. The patent
| office does not want business methods patents
| but does want software patents (It has issued
| thousands.). One argument was that adding
| software to a computer made the computer a
| specific machine even if it did not transform
| anything more than bits of information. Has
| âabstractâ lost its meaning with people?
| Information, itself, is an abstraction, the
| idea that we can have an idea about ideasâ
`----

http://pogson.6k.ca/2010/05/08/problems-in-re-bilski-for-scotus/

Recent:

John Paul Stevens, Defender of High-Tech Freedom

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.cato-at-liberty.org/2010/04/09/john-paul-stevens-defender-of-high-tech-freedom/