[News] Microsoft's Devices Are Dying Fast Because of Linux (Which It is Trying to Tax)

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft's Devices Are Dying Fast Because of Linux (Which It is Trying to Tax)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 08:24:21 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

WinMo and Zune depress Microsoft's mobile sales

,----[ Quote ]
| As part of its Q3 results announcement,
| Microsoft said revenue in its mobile and
| entertainment division - excluding the Xbox
| gaming platform - fell by $80m. Windows
| Mobile has lost over 20% of its smartphone
| market share in the past four months,
| according to estimates from comScore, with
| Android the main predator. In the US - the
| best market for both OSs because of the
| weakness of market leader Symbian - the
| study says WinMo has just 15.1%, while
| Android has doubled its share in a year, to
| 9%, and is sure to hit double figures very
| soon.
`----

http://www.rethink-wireless.com/2010/04/26/winmo-zune-depress-microsofts-mobile-sales.htm

Microsoft developers may need a big push to finish WinPhone 7 apps

http://job-news.odesk.com/technology-platform-news/microsoft-developers-may-need-a-big-push-to-finish-winphone-7-apps-758

Microsoft Kin Phones: The Reviews Are In

http://www.pcworld.com/article/195645/microsoft_kin_phones_the_reviews_are_in.html

KIN Reviews: Microsoft Phones A Flop?

,----[ Quote ]
| The early reviews are in for Microsoft's
| new KIN phonesâand pundits, for the most
| part, aren't overly impressed with
| Redmond's attempt at a mobile device geared
| primarily toward social-networkers.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/microsoft_news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=224700923

Microsoft scraps in-person Windows conference

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-20003720-56.html

Microsoft won't deliver Courier tablet

http://www.kentucky.com/2010/05/05/1253102/microsoft-wont-deliver-courier.html

iPad's success may fuel other tablet dramas

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36921824/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/

The Sudden Death of Two iPad Wannabes

http://www.daniweb.com/news/story280549.html

Microsoft Courier: Not The Right Time

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2010/05/microsoft_couri.html

Has Microsoft single-handedly killed off touch?

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/igeneration/has-microsoft-single-handedly-killed-off-touch/4824

Microsoft's "iPad Killer" Tablet Is So Awesome They Won't Even Make It

http://www.ridiculopathy.com/news_detail.php?id=2537

Microsoft shelves Courier

http://www.royalgazette.com/rg/Article/article.jsp?articleId=7da52af30030019&sectionId=65

Microsoft Cancelling Its Courier Tablet

http://topnews.us/content/218848-microsoft-cancelling-its-courier-tablet

Why Did Microsoft Kill Its Much-Desired Courier Tablet? Top 3 Headlines

http://dailybreaknews.com/why-did-microsoft-kill-its-much-desired-courier-tablet-top-3-headlines/8582

Courier Tablet Sidelined, Says Microsoft

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/content/view/34507/

The Macalope Weekly: What a letdown!

http://www.macworld.com/article/150968/2010/05/macalope_letdown.html

What Windows 7 tablet?

,----[ Quote ]
| It may make sense to be done with it.
| Windows 7, though much lighter and more
| efficient than Windows Vista, is still a
| full-fledged desktop operating system.
| Even though it runs pretty well on
| netbooks, it's clearly not suited for
| super-simple touchscreen tablet devices.
| Microsoft would need to undertake a major
| rewrite and strip the software down to its
| essentials.
`----

http://www.boston.com/business/technology/appsampler/2010/04/what_windows_7_tablet.html

Tablets 2.0: Microsoft, HP probably building less powerful products

http://venturebeat.com/2010/05/03/tablets-2-0-microsoft-hp-probably-building-less-powerful-products/

HP Slate Might Be Launched With webOS, Unlikely To Use Windows 7 Say Reports

http://www.lanewsmonitor.com/news/HP-Slate-Might-Be-Launched-With-webOS--Unlikely-To-Use-Windows-7-Say-Reports-1272882897/

Analysis: HP Buys Palm. ARM Wins Big. Intel is Screwed.

http://www.conceivablytech.com/836/products/analysis-hp-buys-palm-arm-wins-big-intel-is-screwed/

Did HP save Palm with acquisition? Or did it save itself?

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/did-hp-save-palm-with-acquisition-or-did-it-save-itself/33836

HP Expected to Pursue Tablets with Palm WebOS, sans Microsoft

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-Wireless/HP-Expected-to-Pursue-Tablets-with-Palm-WebOS-sans-Microsoft-754228/

Rumor Mill Churns Around webOS-based HP Slate

http://www.cio-today.com/news/Rumors-of-webOS-based-HP-Slate/story.xhtml?story_id=003000AMCZMO&full_skip=1

HP tablet plans draw interest after Palm deal

http://ca.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idCATRE63T56Q20100430

Even before arrival, Slate reportedly off market

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/04/30/BUFG1D7KAL.DTL

Palm-HP: Microsoft bites bigtime

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/palm-hp-microsoft-bites-bigtime/6760

With Palm on deck, is H-P killing its Windows-based tablet?

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/is-h-p-killing-its-windows-based-slate-tablet-2010-04-30?dist=afterbell

Why Microsoft is already losing the tablet battle

http://blog.seattlepi.com/microsoft/archives/204166.asp

HP To Ditch Windows 7 For Homegrown OS?

http://www.informationweek.com/news/software/operatingsystems/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=224700980&subSection=News

HP's Palm Plans May Leave Microsoft Out in the Cold

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/apr2010/tc20100429_449850.htm

Microsoft and HP: Love on the rocks?

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/microsoft-and-hp-love-on-the-rocks/6057

Recent:

HP drops Windows 7 from Slate tablet

,----[ Quote ]
| The site claims that HP could also be about
| to abandon Intel hardware. If both the OS
| and microprocessor go, the obvious
| conclusion is that HP is looking to use
| WebOS, a dedicated Smartphone platform it
| acquired as part of this week's surprise
| deal to buy Palm.
`----

http://www.techworld.com.au/article/345091/hp_drops_windows_7_from_slate_tablet?fp=2&fpid=1&rid=1

Microsoft's Courier tablet dies before it lives

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/30/microsoft_kills_courier/

Microsoft Courier Tablet Canceled!

http://www.pcworld.com/article/195280/Microsoft_Courier_Tablet_Canceled.html?tk=rss_news

Microsoft Reportedly Cancels Courier Tablet Prototype

http://www.pcworld.com/article/195290/microsoft_reportedly_cancels_courier_tablet_prototype.html?tk=rss_news

Microsoft kills Courier tablet project

http://www.techworld.com.au/article/344936/microsoft_kills_courier_tablet_project?fp=2&fpid=1&rid=1

Microsoft Courier cancelled

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/04/29/microsoft-courier-ca.html

Microsoft shifts Windows Summit online

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/29/microsoft_windows_summit_shifts_online/

Microsoft scraps in-person Windows conference

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-20003720-56.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

HP buys Palm

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1603448/hp-buys-palm

HP's Slate gets delayed

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1603807/hp-slate-delayed

HP's Slate was an Ugly Baby with Windows 7

,----[ Quote ]
| The existing WebOS application base of
| 1500+ programs, while not huge, will run
| pretty much as-is with some simple re-
| packaging and screen optimization, because
| the apps are all written in the lingua
| franca of the Web, HTML and Javascript, and
| are completely CPU platform neutral.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/perlow/?p=12820

Microsoft kills its Courier folding tablet

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1603744/microsoft-kills-courier-folding-tablet

Is the new Palm-equipped HP killing the Slate tablet?

,----[ Quote ]
| Techcrunch is reporting that Hewlett-
| Packard is killing off its Slate tablet
| before it comes to market.
|
| The reasoning, according to a Techcrunch
| source, is that HP isn't happy with the
| performance of Window 7 as a tablet
| operating system. That means HP will be
| shopping around for a new operating system
| such as Google's Android OS or they could
| be fixing to convert Palm's webOS for
| tablets.
`----

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/techchron/detail?blogid=19&entry_id=62553