[News] Drupal Founder Debates Free CMS Business Models

  • Subject: [News] Drupal Founder Debates Free CMS Business Models
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 01:19:37 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Joomla vs Drupal: business models and commercial ecosystem

,----[ Quote ]
| Why is this happening? First, the Joomla
| people that I talked to believed that there
| was more money to be made in the Drupal world,
| as Drupal tends to attract larger projects.
| Further, the lack of Drupal template clubs is
| perceived as an opportunity for Joomla
| developers already familiar with that business
| model. Third, since the long awaited Joomla
| 1.6 release is "only" an incremental release,
| some people are only marginally excited about
| it. Contrasted with Drupal 7 and Wordpress
| 3.0, both of which are shaping up to be
| phenomenal, paradigm-shifting releases with
| tons of improvements and feature additions,
| many Joomla developers are expanding their
| horizons and portfolios.
`----

http://buytaert.net/joomla-vs-drupal-business-models-and-commercial-ecosystem

The Cloud : at least an environment that favor open-source !

,----[ Quote ]
| Moreover, open-source companies that develop
| open-source software already have a business
| model that is compatible with the Cloud :
| their software is already freely downloadable
| and can be run on any computer. When the old
| license-based model is used then some
| adaptation on the business sides of things,
| for instance usage based vs instance based.
| When a service-model is used, then no change
| is needed.
`----

http://openceo.blogspot.com/2010/05/cloud-at-least-environment-that-favor.html

Recent:

White House delivers Drupal a stimulus

,----[ Quote ]
| Drupal and its commercial arm, Acquia, got
| a big boost last year when it was announced
| the White House would be using the
| software.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=6333

The White House: open-source Drupal developer?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2010/04/the-white-houseopen-source-drupal-developer.ars