[News] Software Patents in Europe Through Central Court - Forgetting About Democracy

  • Subject: [News] Software Patents in Europe Through Central Court - Forgetting About Democracy
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 07:27:42 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

"No Power for the Parliament" warns EPO examiners

http://slashdot.org/submission/1234894/No-Power-for-the-Parliament-warns-EPO-examiners

Parlement europÃen de Strasbourg

http://www.ceipi.edu/fr/travaux/Renc.html

Intellectual Property, Open Source, and Standards: Friends or Foes?

,----[ Quote ]
| The Institute for Globalisation and
| International Regulation at Maastricht
| University Faculty of Law and the Stockholm
| Network Intellectual Property & Competition
| Programme are delighted to invite you to a
| forum and debate on "Intellectual Property,
| Open Source and Standards: Friends or Foes?
|
| [...]
|
| How should we consider the relationship
| between patents and standards, and what are
| the implications of not allowing standards
| to be protected by IPRs? Is the dichotomy
| between open and proprietary standards at
| all justified, or are these types of
| standards in fact complimentary?
`----

http://www.stockholm-network.org/Conferences-and-Programmes/Events/Upcoming-Events

EU-India treaty leaks with 3strikes provisions

,----[ Quote ]
| zoobab writes "The draft agreement between
| Europe and India on Intellectual Property
| Rights has been leaked, and clearly
| mentions at its Article 34 the possibility
| for administrative tribunals, such as the
| ones currently being setup in France via
| the Hadopi, to shutdown internet access of
| suspected downloaders ("This article shall
| not affect the possibility for a court or
| administrative authority, in accordance
| with Parties' legal systems, of requiring
| the service provider to terminate or
| prevent an infringement"). The draft also
| contains provisions on ISPs liabilities.
| The European Commission is also pushing for
| ISPs liabilities for copyright
| infringements in the EU-South Korea Free
| Trade Agreement, which was criticised in
| the public hearing on ACTA on going beyond
| existing EU laws and the E-commerce
| directive."
`----

http://slashdot.org/submission/1234868/EU-India-treaty-leaks-with-3strikes-provisions

"No Power for the Parliament" warns EPO examiners association

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://epla.ffii.org/forum/t-240861/no-power-for-the-parliament-warns-epo-examiners-association