[News] Air Force Uses GNU/Linux, MITRE uses GNU/Linux Too

  • Subject: [News] Air Force Uses GNU/Linux, MITRE uses GNU/Linux Too
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 15:57:50 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

At Work with Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| At MITRE we use Linux extensively because
| our customers and partners use it. The
| MITRE office is essentially OS agnostic;
| we don't care what they use, as long as
| it's the right tool for the job. So far
| Linux, specifically Redhat Linux, has
| proven itself fit for the tasks it is
| called upon to perform.
`----

http://blogbeebe.blogspot.com/2010/05/at-work-with-linux.html

Air Force may suffer collateral damage from PS3 firmware update

,----[ Quote ]
| When Sony issued a recent PlayStation 3
| update removing the device's ability to
| install alternate operating systems like
| Linux, it did so to protect copyrighted
| contentâbut several research projects
| suffered collateral damage.
|
| The Air Force is one example. The Air
| Force Research Laboratory in Rome, New
| York picked up 336 PS3 systems in 2009 and
| built itself a 53 teraFLOP processing
| cluster. Once completed as a proof of
| concept, Air Force researchers then scaled
| up by a factor of six and went in search
| of 2,200 more consoles (later scaled back
| to 1,700). The $663,000 contract was
| awarded on January 6, 2010, to a small
| company called Fixstars that could provide
| 1,700 160GB PS3 systems to the government.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/05/how-removing-ps3-linux-hurts-the-air-force.ars

Recent:

London Stock Exchange Linux switchover set for September

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/technology/networking/messaging/news/index.cfm?newsid=18641