[News] Internet Cafe Looking at GNU/Linux for Savings

  • Subject: [News] Internet Cafe Looking at GNU/Linux for Savings
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 16:03:50 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

My First Linux Distribution

,----[ Quote ]
| I was starting to build a internet cafe.
| Thinking about how to make a internet cafe
| with low budget. Operating system with
| licence is too expensive. So i googling
| internet.
| [...]
|
| PCLinuxOS is rock solid distros for me for
| now..., i don't know if some people feel
| different.
|
| But Linux is good.
`----

http://cidtux.blogspot.com/2010/05/my-first-linux-distribution.html

Recent:

Internet Cafà Invaded by Linux Desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| You may ask why I'm happy about this recent experience. ---Well, I really
| want Linux to succeed, and seeing it now being used in a Windows-dominated
| Internet cafà business is a telltale sign that the Linux desktop is geared up
| for the mainstream crowd. So, cheers to that!
`----

http://www.junauza.com/2008/11/internet-caf-invaded-by-linux-desktop.html

Related:

Cdn co. nails concept of public computing

,----[ Quote ]
| The software that runs the Discover Station is simple to manage and very
| elegant. Running Linux, it is secure, throughout -- no issues with hackers or
| viruses, and as important, there is almost no chance that a user's personal
| information gets compromised. As soon as you end your session the terminal
| restarts, blowing away all personal names, passwords and cookies, so security
| is a real strength.
|
| Managing the Linux-based system is very easy. The company has a management
| console that lets you maintain all of your systems, regardless if you have a
| small network of four workstations in your hotel lobby, or hundreds of
| workstations in coffee shops across the nation. You can modify the systems,
| change the graphics on screens, and update the systems remotely.
`----

http://www.canada.com/northshorenews/news/home/story.html?id=4dad2598-2285-4e37-9498-2bc102d07e80

Zencafe Linux for Your Internet Cafe

,----[ Quote ]
| Iâve actually seen one shop use Ubuntu on its machines, about half of the
| machines there and as far as I could see, his customers were happy and
| productive.
`----

http://www.newlinuxuser.com/zencafe-linux-for-your-internet-cafe/

Firefox Live, BoothCD, LiveKiosk Review Roundup

,----[ Quote ]
| After much consideration, I found that the most logical choice was
| indeed, the now aging and unsupported, BoothCD. Even with this
| project falling into the cobwebs of non-support, it was able to
| work with the hardware I tossed at it. I purposely used older,
| non-itemized components to recreate an instance we might see at
| a new, privately owned coffee shop or bookstore.
`----

http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2500&Itemid=449
http://tinyurl.com/23wdlt

Linux Internet Cafe Software Allows Multiple Users to Share Single Desktop

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://opensourceblog.itproportal.com/?p=183

`----