[News] Google's Browser/OS Improves, Gets Priority

  • Subject: [News] Google's Browser/OS Improves, Gets Priority
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 16:33:05 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Google heats up native code for Chrome OS

,----[ Quote ]
| The SDK includes a compiler based on GCC
| (GNU Compiler Collection) for creating
| x86-32 or x86-64 binaries from C or C++
| source code, and you'll find ports of
| popular open source projects like zlib,
| Lua, and libjpeg.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/13/google_native_client_sdk/

Ubuntu Netbook Edition 10.10 might ditch Firefox for Chrome

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2010/05/ubuntu_netbook_edition_1010_might_ditch_firefox_for_chrome.html

Ubuntu Netbook Edition 10.10 could replace Firefox with Google Chrome

,----[ Quote ]
| We already knew that Canonical was
| planning to overhaul the user interface
| for the next version of Ubuntu Netbook
| Remix â the version of Ubuntu Linux
| optimized for laptops with small screens
| and low power processors. But now it looks
| like Ubuntu Netbook Edition 10.10 could
| also come with some new default
| applications.
`----

http://www.liliputing.com/2010/05/ubuntu-netbook-edition-10-10-could-replace-firefox-with-google-chrome.html

Ubuntu Netbook Edition dropping Firefox for Chromium?

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2010/05/13/ubuntu-netbook-edition-dropping-firefox-for-chromium/

Chrome OS will represent a milestone for Google

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/infotech/internet/Chrome-OS-will-represent-a-milestone-for-Google/articleshow/5916441.cms

Test Flights Into the Google Cloud

,----[ Quote ]
| These people are downloading home-brewed
| versions of the operating system derived
| from the esoteric source code, which
| Google releases under the name Chromium.
| Google is developing the Chrome system as
| an open-source project and periodically
| releases the Chromium code online, to let
| other Web developers contribute to the
| project.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/09/business/09ping.html?src=busln

Based on GNU/Linux.

Recent:

Google: âWith Chrome OS, Net access will be in a few secondsâ

,----[ Quote ]
| The product manager Anders Sandholm behind the
| scenes development of Chrome and Chrome 5 OS.
| Two programs pursuing the same goal: faster
| access to Web applications.
|
| With 40 million users, Chrome is now the third
| most used browser in the world. A software
| that Google has managed to impose only a year
| and a half, thanks to a marketing campaign
| unprecedented for a browser. This is just the
| beginning.
`----

http://www.exploreeverything.com/2010/04/15/google-with-chrome-os-net-access-will-be-in-a-few-seconds/

Google Chrome Cloud Printing Enables Universal Printing

,----[ Quote ]
| Perhaps one of the biggest drawbacks of the
| anticipated Google Chrome OS has been the
| absence of computer peripherals compatibility.
| The drivers contained in printer software etc.
| simply haven't been announced compatible with
| Google's operating system, requiring printer
| owners to use Linux or Windows to print pages
| from the internet. Yesterday though, Google
| announced a significant step to repair this
| weakness in their operating system, with the
| introduction of: Google Chrome Cloud Printing.
`----

http://news.printerinks.com/2010/04/google-chrome-cloud-printing-enables.html

Parallels Officially Supports Google Chrome OS

,----[ Quote ]
| Thereâs also a bigger story here: Parallels
| provides the base software foundation for
| many VARs and software developers that are
| deploying SaaS (software as a service)
| applications. Now, that SaaS ecosystem may
| be more inclined to give Googleâs Chrome OS
| a look.
`----

http://www.thevarguy.com/2010/03/09/parallels-officially-supports-google-chrome-os/

Google talks Chrome OS, HTML5, and the future of software

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2010/01/chrome-os-interview-1.ars