[News] Glimpse at the Future of GNOME Desktop

  • Subject: [News] Glimpse at the Future of GNOME Desktop
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 17:02:32 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Gnome Shell Might Add Real Multiple Desktops

,----[ Quote ]
| The idea is to have custom folders for
| each desktop. Right now, the desktop is
| located at /home/your_username/Desktop and
| this would provide a new folder for each
| virtual desktop so that you can fully work
| on a project on a given Desktop -
| including all the files related to your
| project / task.
`----

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/05/gnome-shell-might-add-real-multiple.html

Future GNOME: What to Expect in GNOME 3.0

,----[ Quote ]
| The release of GNOME 3.0, the popular
| desktop's first major release in eight
| years, promises to be the major free
| software event in autumn 2010. Where is
| GNOME now? What can we expect of GNOME
| 3.0? Of GNOME 3 as a series of releases?
|
| When I asked Stormy Peters, the executive
| director of the GNOME Foundation, where to
| go for answers, she directed me to Vincent
| Untz. A director of the GNOME Foundation
| and one of the senior members of the GNOME
| Release Team, Untz is better positioned
| than almost anyone to offer an overview of
| the project from both a general and a
| technical perspective.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3881686

GNOME Amazon Referral Fees April 2010

http://jaap.haitsma.org/2010/05/09/gnome-amazon-referral-fees-april-2010/

Recent:

Welcome Gnome 2.30

,----[ Quote ]
| When I was updating my system I realized
| there were a lot of gnome packages to be
| upgraded, my enthusiasm immediately rises,
| gnome 2.30 was out.
`----

http://distrocheck.wordpress.com/2010/04/05/welcome-gnome-2-30/

A sneak peak at GNOME 3

,----[ Quote ]
| Now I will warn you that I am a fan of
| GNOME. I understand that KDE did the same
| thing when they re-invented their take on
| the desktop. The difference is â the
| innovation from KDE seemed more like a
| âretooling with added featuresâ. GNOME 3
| will be a milestone for the desktop. I have
| head some people say it is too much like
| the âiPhone interfaceâ. To those I have to
| say âuse it firstâ. But no matter where you
| stand, GNOME 3 is going to be different,
| and this article will show you how to
| install it and give you a first glance.
`----

http://www.ghacks.net/2010/04/06/a-sneak-peak-at-gnome-3/

GNOME 2.30: Waiting for the Big Release

,----[ Quote ]
| GNOME 2.30 was originally intended to
| coincide with GNOME 3.0 -- a massive
| cleanup and rethinking of the popular
| desktop. However, GNOME 3.0 is delayed for
| at least another release, which leaves
| GNOME 2.30 as most likely the last version
| in a series stretching back almost a
| decade.
|
| [...]
|
| On the other hand, 2.30 will probably be
| the final version of the 2.0 series. For
| those who were around for GNOME 2.0 back in
| 2000, the 2.30 release stands as evidence
| of how far GNOME in general and the free
| desktop in particular have come in the last
| decade in usability and design. If you do a
| search for images of early GNOME releases
| and compare the results with 2.30, you can
| have no doubt that, although GNOME
| sometimes tends to over-simplify, its
| improvements over the last decade remain
| unmistakable.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/12068_3874896_2/GNOME-230-Waiting-for-the-Big-Release.htm

First Look: GNOME 2.30

,----[ Quote ]
| April Fools turned out to be a great day for
| Linux enthusiasts, as GNOME developers
| decided to offer them something to look
| forward to except getting punked and do a
| proper launch, and a pretty big one at that.
| GNOME 2.30 is now available for everyone and
| the final release of the 2.xx series is
| packing some serious punch and plenty of
| goodies for even the most demanding user.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/First-Look-GNOME-2-30-138947.shtml

GNOME Project Updates Free Desktop with 2.30 Release

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.gnome.org/press/releases/2010-03-gnome230.html