[News] A Look at Future Releases of Ubuntu

With Ubuntu 10.10 It May Be Easier To Run Wayland

,----[ Quote ]
| Beyond working towards the X Server not
| running as the root user and the
| X.Org/Mesa/Kernel upgrades planned for
| Ubuntu 10.10, it may also be easier to
| test the Wayland Display Server in this
| Ubuntu "Maverick Meerkat" update due out
| in October.
|
| We first talked about Wayland in late 2008
| when the project was still in its infancy
| by Kristian HÃgsberg. Wayland is still
| very much a side-project of Kristian's
| that just receives commits every once in a
| while and has yet to gain any widespread
| adoption, but it still possesses a lot of
| progress. Wayland can run dual nested
| X.Org Servers within it, now runs off Mesa
| rather than Eagle EGL, supports the KMS
| page-flipping ioctl, a DRI2 driver is
| being worked on, and much more. However,
| it doesn't do too much yet for the end-
| user, but that should change once the GTK,
| Qt, or Clutter tool-kits is properly
| supported within Wayland. Right now
| there's just a basic terminal and a few
| demo applications that can run within this
| display server that leverages kernel mode-
| setting.
`----

http://www.core77.com/blog/object_culture/deliver_takeaway_an_open_source_for_ideas__16548.asp

Ubuntu Has Plans For Btrfs In 2011, 2012

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the meetings held this week during
| the Ubuntu Developer Summit for the Ubuntu
| 10.10 planning in Belgium was about Btrfs.
| During this session the developers
| discussed adding Btrfs support to GRUB2,
| whether or not Btrfs encryption is
| possible initially, an option to enable
| the Btrfs zlib compression, and other
| details.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODI0NA

[VIDEO] Maverick Meerkat UDS Keynote Address by Mark Shuttleworth

,----[ Quote ]
| Mark Shuttleworth's keynote address at the
| Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat UDS summit.
`----

http://www.ghabuntu.com/2010/05/video-maverick-meerkat-uds-keynote.html

Instant-on Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| For some time now Ubuntu chief Mark
| Shuttleworth has been pushing developers
| to speed up boot times in the Linux
| operating system. Now he has revealed
| Unity, a new interface that is aimed at
| netbooks users. He's also announced Ubuntu
| Light, a fast, light, version of Ubuntu
| that will offer almost instant-on boot
| times.
`----

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/software/12369-Instant--Ubuntu.html

Recent:

Tracking The Performance Of Ubuntu 10.10

,----[ Quote ]
| With the development of Ubuntu 10.10
| (codenamed the "Maverick Meerkat") getting
| started and the Ubuntu Developer Summit
| coming up in just a matter of days, we have
| re-launched the Ubuntu Phoromatic Tracker
| to monitor the performance of Ubuntu 10.10
| on a daily basis.
|
| We originally launched the Phoromatic
| Ubuntu Tracker back in March that began
| tracking Ubuntu's performance on a daily
| basis late into Lucid's development cycle,
| but a package upgrade a few weeks into it
| had borked the installations. We have now
| loaded up clean installs of Ubuntu on the
| test systems that are now tracking the
| Ubuntu Maverick repository, albeit so far
| is just some updated GCC packages.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODIwNg

Window Indicators ("Windicators") Coming To Ubuntu

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/05/window-indicators-windicators-coming-to.html

Window indicators

,----[ Quote ]
`----