[News] PostgreSQL Database Has Promise, List of 10 MySQL GUI Tools

  • Subject: [News] PostgreSQL Database Has Promise, List of 10 MySQL GUI Tools
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 18:09:36 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

PostgreSQL 9.0 is Serious Competition

,----[ Quote ]
| PostgreSQL supports Solaris, Linux and
| Windows with binary installations. You may
| also download the source code and compile
| it on any platform with which you're
| working.
|
| Do I think PostgreSQL is ready to go head
| to head with MySQL? Yes. Do I think that

| PostgreSQL has a chance to unseat MySQL as
| the "World's Most Popular Open Source
| Database Software?" Not for a second. I do
| think, however, that PostgreSQL will begin
| to raise corporate eyebrows and gain some
| enterprise adoption with its new, long-
| awaited feature set.
`----

http://www.daniweb.com/news/story282694.html

Top 10 MySQL GUI Tools

,----[ Quote ]
| Many third parties create rich applications
| to facilitate database management, database
| development and database administration.
| Here are ten outstanding graphical
| interfaces for MySQL.
`----

http://www.databasejournal.com/features/mysql/article.php/3880961/article.htm

Sun escapee:

Simon Phipps joins open identity startup ForgeRock

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Simon-Phipps-joins-open-identity-startup-ForgeRock-996390.html

Recent:

PostgreSQL Agenda 2010

,----[ Quote ]
| 2010 will see PostgreSQL release its first
| major new version for a long time: version
| 9.0. The release of version 9.0 is an
| important milestone in the evolution of
| PostgreSQL. Integral to this release are new
| features such as the operation of standby
| servers in read-only mode (hot standby) and
| an integrated replication solution.
`----

http://blog.credativ.com/2010/02/postgresql-agenda-2010-2/

What now for MySQL?

,----[ Quote ]
| Some of the biggest names on the web use
| MySQL, including Wikipedia, Facebook, Google
| and Twitter as well as other technology
| giants such as Dell and Cisco. Steve Shine
| from Ingres was also keen to play up the
| companyâs influence in the banking sector and
| other mission critical applications. âWe have
| major banks in our installed customer base
| and about 25% of all financial transactions
| go through an open source platform. One
| customer uses Ingres for flight and
| maintenance scheduling,â he says.
`----