[News] The European Patent Office Continues to Open Back Door to Software Patents

  • Subject: [News] The European Patent Office Continues to Open Back Door to Software Patents
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 18:44:59 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

European Patent Office rules on software

,----[ Quote ]
| The European Patent Office (EPO) has ended
| speculation about the extent to which
| software can be patented under the European
| Patent Convention with a decision handed
| down yesterday from its Enlarged Board of
| Appeal.
`----

http://www.computing.co.uk/computing/news/2262994/european-patent-office-rules

Europe clarifies its position on intellectual property

,----[ Quote ]
| Yesterday, the Enlarged Board of Appeal of
| the European Patent Office (EPO) handed
| down its long-awaited 'opinion' on the
| extent to which software can be patented
| under the European Patent Convention.
`----

http://www.computing.co.uk/computing/analysis/2263024/europe-gets-serious-ip

Reactions to the EPO computer program patent decision roll in

http://www.iam-magazine.com/blog/Detail.aspx?g=cc296bce-5de8-484c-ac43-95d5b6ce68df

European Patent Office silent on software patent question

,----[ Quote ]
| No change: That's the result of an 18-month
| long appeals process that the president of
| the European Patent Office hoped would
| clarify the rules on whether software may
| be patented.
|
| In October 2008, EPO President Alison
| Brimelow referred four questions on the
| patentability of software to the EPO's
| Enlarged Board of Appeal, its highest
| appeals court, on the grounds that a number
| of patent cases had reached "different
| decisions."
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/open-source-business/news/index.cfm?newsId=20266

Patenting Computer-Implemented-Inventions (CIIs) in the EPO

http://www.patentlyo.com/patent/2010/05/patenting-computer-implemented-inventions-ciis-in-the-epo.html

EPO EBoA Opinion in re G 03/08 (Patentability Of Computer-Implemented Inventions)

http://www.ipjur.com/blog2/index.php?/archives/150-EPO-EBoA-Opinion-in-re-G-0308-Patentability-Of-Computer-Implemented-Inventions.html

âSoftwareâ Patents in Europe

,----[ Quote ]
| To be honest, the decision was pretty much
| expected: the European Patent Office (EPO)
| has been taking a fairly consistent
| approach to computer-implemented inventions
| and has a growing body of learning
| materials on the subject.
`----

http://ipchimp.wordpress.com/2010/05/13/software-patents-in-europe/

G 3/08 (Software Patents) decision is out - Tufty the Cat vindicated

,----[ Quote ]
| As many in the 'FOSS'/anti-patent world
| would undoubtedly say, perhaps it is now
| time for the legislator to take over.
| However, I would have very serious doubts
| about whether it will be possible to come
| to any sort of agreement among the member
| states of either the EU or the EPC that
| would stand any chance of resolving the
| issue once and for all.
|
| [...]
|
| 6. T 424/03, Microsoft does deviate from a
| view expressed in T 1173/97, IBM,
| concerning whether a claim to a program on
| a computer-readable medium necessarily
| avoids exclusion from patentability under
| Article 52(2) EPC. However this is a
| legitimate development of the case law and
| there is no divergence which would make the
| referral of this point to the Enlarged
| Board of Appeal by the President
| admissible.
`----

http://ipkitten.blogspot.com/2010/05/g-308-software-patents-decision-is-out.html

History uploaded to YouTube.... in English:

European Parliament rejects the Software Patent Directive (6 July 2005) (EN)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWsi-XcB0KA

French:

European Parliament rejects the Software Patent Directive (6 July 2005)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neOA0v7u3cE

Recent:

EU software patent issue goes to appeals body

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.nytimes.com/external/idg/2008/10/24/24idg-EU-software-pat.html