[News] New Examples of Linux-based/Ballnux Phones from Samsung, LG, and HTC

  • Subject: [News] New Examples of Linux-based/Ballnux Phones from Samsung, LG, and HTC
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 21:57:44 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

HTC EVO 4G $200, on Sale June 4

,----[ Quote ]
| Sprintâs first 4G smartphone, the EVO 4G,
| will go on sale June 4 for $200 after a mail-
| in rebate. (The full price is $450, but if
| you grab one from Best Buy, youâll get the
| discount applied when you buy.)
`----

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/05/htc-evo-4g-200-on-sale-june-4th/

Verizon launches LG's first U.S.-bound Android phone

,----[ Quote ]
| Verizon Wireless and LG Electronics
| MobileComm U.S.A. have launched the first
| U.S.-destined Android smartphone from LG,
| previously promoted with the movie "Iron Man
| 2." The mid-range LG Ally offers a 3.2-inch
| touchscreen, slider QWERTY keyboard, 802.11
| b/g/n, Bluetooth 2.1, S-GPS, and a 3.2-
| megapixel camera, says Verizon.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/LG-Ally/?kc=rss

Nexus One gives the iPhone a run for its money

,----[ Quote ]
| Google made a wise decision when it decided
| to release an open source mobile operating
| system â it has allowed it to quickly
| infiltrate the smartphone market because of
| the business model: itâs free and open source
| like Linux.
|
| Despite this, most of the Android devices on
| the market today are not really true
| competitors to the iPhone, due to the
| immaturity, sluggishness and the availability
| of apps. But with the release of the latest
| device, the HTC Nexus One running Android
| v2.1, Android is finally becoming a threat to
| the iPhone, which has held its own for almost
| two years as the most desirable mobile
| device.
`----

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/feat/archives/2010/05/12/2003472758

Nexus One changes in availability

,----[ Quote ]
| But, as with every innovation, some parts
| worked better than others. While the global
| adoption of the Android platform has exceeded
| our expectations, the web store has not. Itâs
| remained a niche channel for early adopters,
| but itâs clear that many customers like a
| hands-on experience before buying a phone,
| and they also want a wide range of service
| plans to chose from.
`----

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/05/nexus-one-changes-in-availability.html

Say Hello to the TELUS HTC Triumph!

,----[ Quote ]
| Got to hand it to TELUS as they keep bringing
| on very strong Android devices. First it was
| the HTC Hero, followed up with the Motorola
| Milestone then the very unique Motorola
| Backflipâ now behold the HTC Triumph!
`----

http://mobilesyrup.com/2010/05/13/say-hello-to-the-telus-htc-triumph/

Samsung Wave out soon, SDK out now

,----[ Quote ]
| As has been widely reported, Samsung's
| eagerly anticipated Wave handset is due out
| in the next month or so and is based around
| the new open-source bada platform. As a
| result, people eager to start creating apps
| for the smartphone device can start doing
| that right now, by downloading the Software
| Developers Kit directly from bada.com.
`----

http://www.mobilecomputermag.co.uk/news/1828/samsung-wave-out-soon-sdk-out-now

Ok, For Real Guysâ Android 2.1 Available for Samsung Moment

http://www.androidguys.com/2010/05/13/real-guys-android-21-samsung-moment/

US Cellularâs Samsung Acclaim Pic Confirmed

,----[ Quote ]
| Engadget is reporting that the handset
| pictured to the left is the new Samsung
| Acclaim that US Cellular has recently scored
| exclusive rights to. Their confidence that
| this is the Acclaim is high, with their
| "doubt meter hovering at zero."
`----

http://www.androidguys.com/2010/05/13/us-cellulars-samsung-acclaim-pic-confirmed/

Is this T-Mobile USâs Galaxy S? UPDATE

,----[ Quote ]
| This is another one of those posts that could
| be way off the mark, but it could be right
| on. Howard Chui from howardchui.com recently
| posted a video walkthrough of the Samsung
| Galaxy S. If you will kindly take note of the
| icons in the screen shot to the right, youâll
| notice there are a couple recognizable icons
| there, icons that are commonly found on T-
| Mobile US Android devices. Iâve looked
| through several Galaxy S videos from CTIA and
| none of the demos show these icons in the app
| tray, only this video.
`----

http://www.droiddog.com/android-blog/2010/05/is-this-t-mobile-uss-galaxy-s/

Samsung Galaxy S Promotional Video Surfaces

http://www.androidguys.com/2010/05/14/samsung-galaxy-promotional-video-surfaces/

HTC Will Pay Royalty To Microsoft For Using Android

,----[ Quote ]
| The operating system of Microsoft is Windows.
| The license to use Windows on their cell
| phones many mobile manufacturers are being
| given the licence by Microsoft. Microsoft did
| not reveal what would be the amount of
| royalties that HTC is going to pay.
`----

http://www.ukpressreleases.co.uk/HTC-Will-Pay-Royalty-To-Microsoft-For-Using-Android~123.htm

Samsung's Bada gets a developer kit

,----[ Quote ]
| The Software Developer's Kit version 1 is
| available from the Bada Developers' portal,
| which promises that the Bada-based Wave phone
| (which should be shipping by the end of the
| month) will be followed by "successive
| promising handsets", and that Bada phones
| will be available globally later this year.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/07/bada_sdk/

Samsung releases Bada SDK

,----[ Quote ]
| Time will tell if Samsung can attract
| developers to its own smartphone operating
| system now that it has released the beta of
| its Bada software development kit.
`----

http://www.techworld.com.au/article/345849/samsung_releases_bada_sdk?fp=2&fpid=1&rid=1

Recent:

Enhanced WeFi Launches on Android

,----[ Quote ]
| WeFi Inc. (www.wefi.com), creator of the
| worldâs largest community-based global Wi-Fi
| network, launched today an enhanced version
| of its free software for PC and Android
| mobile devices.
`----

http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=190427

Apple iPhone vs. Android Multitasking: A Comparison

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/194350/apple_iphone_vs_android_multitasking_a_comparison.html?tk=rss_news