[News] Linux-based webOS Now Runs on PC, Now Just Phones

  • Subject: [News] Linux-based webOS Now Runs on PC, Now Just Phones
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 08:21:26 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Palmâs webOS installed and running on old Dell laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| Old used laptops are usually paired with old
| operating systems like Windows XP or some
| GNU/Linux variant. But for those of you who
| want to try out something completely
| different, check out Palmâs webOS.
|
| No, I have not gone crazy or fallen victim to
| a typo of some sort. Palmâs mobile operating
| system on the Pre and Pixi has been found to
| be capable of running on an old Dell laptop.
| See the image below for some introductory
| proof.
`----

http://www.unwiredview.com/2010/05/17/palms-webos-installed-and-running-on-old-dell-laptop/

webOS up and running on PC hardware

http://www.precentral.net/webos-and-running-pc-hardware

Recent:

webOS update coming soon, PDK apps likely to land

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/03/webos-update-coming-soon-pdk-apps-likely-to-land/

webOS update coming soon, PDK apps likely to land

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, what have we here? A friendly
| tipster, who just so happens to be a
| registered Palm developer, has sent us the
| latest informational email from the
| recently-swallowed outfit, and while the
| tone here may be gentle, the implications
| are certainly serious. According to the
| memo, a new webOS update is "coming soon,"
| and developers are being alerted that
| they'll need to be prepared to test their
| apps when it hits.
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/03/webos-update-coming-soon-pdk-apps-likely-to-land/

European embedded Linux show seeks presentation ideas

,----[ Quote ]
| The Consumer Electronics Linux Forum (CELF)
| announced a call for papers for the next
| Embedded Linux Conference Europe (ELCE),
| scheduled for Oct. 27-28 in Cambridge, UK.
| CELF is looking for a variety of technical
| presentations focused on the use of embedded
| Linux in consumer electronics products.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/CELF-call-for-papers-for-Embedded-Linux-Conference-Europe/?kc=rss

HP buys Palm

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1603448/hp-buys-palm

HP buys Palm

,----[ Quote ]
| HP has just announced that it's acquiring
| Palm to the tune of $1.2 billion, which
| works out to $5.70 per share of Palm common
| stock.
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/28/hp-buys-palm/

HP Buying Palm, Might Make a webOS Tablet

,----[ Quote ]
| HP is going to acquire smartphone maker
| Palm. In a conference call after the
| announcement, a high-level HP executive
| raised the possibility that his company
| might produce tablet computers running
| Palm's webOS.
`----

http://www.tabletpcreview.com/default.asp?newsID=1398&news=HP+Palm+webOS+Tablet

Does HP + Palm = Facepalm?

,----[ Quote ]
| Of course, the good news for open source is
| that it doesn't really matter whether HP's
| move proves deeply wise or totally witless.
| Both Android and webOS have Linux at their
| heart, and both use additional free
| software (that found in the latest webOS
| includes ALSA and webkit elements.) In that
| sense, the lifeline that HP has thrown to
| Palm and hence webOS is good news: more
| resources will be expended on making key
| parts of open source better.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?blogid=14&entryid=2938

A brief history of Palm

,----[ Quote ]
| The PalmPilot is credited with popularizing
| the personal digital assistant, or PDA. And
| it was the device that established the
| basic form factor that later smartphones
| would use. After earlier attempts by Apple
| and others, Palm proved there was a market
| for a third category of portable computing
| device, something more than a cell phone
| but less than a laptop.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9176116/A_brief_history_of_Palm

Quick guide to webOS

,----[ Quote ]
| webOS itself is a Linux-based operating system
| but with Palm designed components on top of it.
| It gives it a rather curious mix of open source
| foundations and very effective proprietary guts
| at the same time, and the result is an agnostic
| way of integrating your social networks and
| other forms of communication. It's the default
| and entirely locked-in operating system for the
| Pre and will also be at the heart of the Palm
| Pixi which we'll probably see before the end of
| the year.
`----

http://m.pocket-lint.com/news/news.phtml/28020

Palm Pre from iPhone3g: first impressions

,----[ Quote ]
| Iâm really happy with the Pre.  While the build
| quality could be much better, itâs all about the
| operating system for me.  I canât wait to get more
| and more applications written for it.
`----

http://shaneosullivan.wordpress.com/2009/10/17/palm-pre-from-iphone3g-first-impressions/

Palm Prà arrives in Blighty

,----[ Quote ]
| The Palm Prà has been available Stateside since
| June, but Blighty-based gadget fans can finally
| bag themselves the smartphone from today.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/10/16/pre_launch_day/

Palm Pre smartphone

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/10/16/review_phone_palm_pre/

Palm Pre UK demand outstrips 2007 Iphone takeup

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1558412/palm-pre-uk-demand-outstrips-2007-iphone-takeup