[News] Malta Creates Free Software Group in Government, SSC (NZ) Favours Free Software

  • Subject: [News] Malta Creates Free Software Group in Government, SSC (NZ) Favours Free Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 08:46:52 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

MT: Government starts open source user group

,----[ Quote ]
| The government of Malta has started the
| Government of Malta Open Source End User
| Group (Moseug) last month. The group is
| meant to become a major driving force
| behind open source initiatives in the
| country.
|
| According to an article on the new user
| group in the Times of Malta newspaper,
| written by Michel Bugeja, an IT architect
| at Malta's governmental Information
| Technology Agency (MITA), the government
| wants the group to help to increase the
| use of open source software in the
| government. "All stakeholders see the
| formation of the user group as a
| commitment from the government to promote
| open source software on equal play to
| proprietary software."
`----

http://www.osor.eu/news/mt-government-starts-open-source-user-group

SSC specifies open source software in tender process

,----[ Quote ]
| The State Services Commission has raised
| eyebrows after specifying that open source
| software be part of its revamped website.
|
| The commission has told potential
| suppliers that the website's content
| management system, which will let it
| update and manage the site, must use open
| source software rather than proprietary
| software â such as that supplied by
| Microsoft.
`----

http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/digital-living/3703572/SSC-specifies-open-source-software-in-tender-process

Recent:

Malta Open Source End User Group

,----[ Quote ]
| Free Open Source Software (Foss) has
| reached appropriate levels of maturity in
| terms of quality and reach; Foss is also
| being adopted as a mainstream solution and
| also an alternative to proprietary
| solutions. The Malta Information Technology
| Agency (Mita) seeks to adopt cost-effective
| and non-disruptive OSS within government
| and is therefore seeking open
| participation, collaboration and
| transparency through the creation of a
| Government of Malta Open Source End User
| Group to become a major driving force
| behind the evolution of Open Source
| initiatives.
`----

http://www.maltabusinessweekly.com.mt/news.asp?newsitemid=8675

â 2 scheme for teachers and students for StarOffice

,----[ Quote ]
| Maltese students and teachers can purchase StarOffice applications software
| for a once-only payment of â2.
`----

http://www.maltamedia.com/artman2/publish/financial/article_5033.shtml

Related:

IBM Linux education programme [in Malta]

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the ICT education initiatives is the Linux Education
| Programme, through which 60 persons who already work in the
| ICT industry ambit will certify themselves as Linux Entry
| Level Administrators.
`----

http://www.independent.com.mt/news.asp?newsitemid=48291

Leo Brincat's missionary zeal - Malta and Open Source

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.independent.com.mt/news.asp?newsitemid=44531