[News] OpenOffice.org Claims Many Conversions from Office, Calls for Conference Papers

  • Subject: [News] OpenOffice.org Claims Many Conversions from Office, Calls for Conference Papers
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 08:38:40 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Organizations Switching from Microsoft Office Choose OpenOffice Over Google Docs: New Survey by Info-Tech Research Group

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's decision to discontinue
| support for Office 2003 or older means
| that organizations using these suites will
| soon have to bite the bullet and decide
| whether to upgrade to Office 2010 or find
| an alternative solution. Google has been
| pushing hard for organizations to make the
| switch to Google Docs, but Info-Tech
| Research Group suggests that most
| organizations should not make the switch.
| However, when a full or limited migration
| is validated, OpenOffice is the way to go.
|
| "Our research shows that no other
| alternative suite stands up to the
| features, reliability and familiar feel of
| OpenOffice making it the best option for
| organizations making a full switch or
| planning a limited deployment of an
| alternative suite," said Tim Hickernell,
| Lead Research Analyst for Info-Tech
| Research Group. "Google Docs does have the
| collaboration aspect going for them, but
| when it comes to spreadsheets,
| presentations and word processing,
| OpenOffice is far superior to other
| alternatives."
`----

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/organizations-switching-from-microsoft-office-choose-openoffice-over-google-docs-new-survey-by-info-tech-research-group-94129964.html

OpenOffice.org Conference 2010: Call for Papers

,----[ Quote ]
| This year's OpenOffice.org Conference will
| take place from the 31st of August to the
| 2rd of September in the Hungarian capital
| of Budapest. The 10th anniversary event
| for the free open source office suite is
| open to users, developers and contributors
| and will focus on a number of topics, such
| as the OpenDocument Format (ODF),
| development and interoperability.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/OpenOffice-org-Conference-2010-Call-for-Papers-1002520.html

Recent:

6 Advanced OpenOffice.org Extensions

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenOffice.org (OOo for short) is a powerful
| open source and multi-platform office suite,
| and is even comparable to Microsoft Office.
| However, there's always room-to-grow,
| features to improve, and things to customize.
| Luckily, the open source community provides a
| great repository of extensions and add-ons.
| Today, we'll look at six of them. Now let's
| get started!
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/7066/1/

9 More OpenOffice Extensions