[News] "Desktop" Became an Elusive Target for Market to Chase (or How Linux Grows Where it Matters)

  • Subject: [News] "Desktop" Became an Elusive Target for Market to Chase (or How Linux Grows Where it Matters)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 07:25:36 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The end of the (Linux) desktop as we know it ?

,----[ Quote ]
| More and more of the Linux ecosystem (PC
| hardware vendor, phone hardware vendor,
| search engine giant and more recently a
| well known Linux distro, Ubuntu) uses
| Linux as an embedded system for the
| desktop. Some examples to illustrate this
| trend :
|
|     * Asus Express gate embed Linux in
|     the motherboard. You can have, in a
|     few seconds, a browser, skype, etc.
|     * Google Chrome OS : not yet released
|     but it is define as the Web OS with a
|     minimalist/zen approach (like an OS
|     based on Chrome, the browser)
|     * Mobile platform : you'll have
|     plenty to choose. ARM based :
|     Symbian, Meego, Android, etc.
|     * Last but not least, Canonical
|     announce "Unity", a minimal/Zen OS
|     that will be available to OEM but can
|     be nonetheless deployed on Ubuntu
|     Lucid and later.
`----

http://openceo.blogspot.com/2010/05/end-of-linux-desktop-as-we-know-it.html

Recent:

Getting real about Linux on the desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| Lastly, we have the whole netbook phenomenon. While the jury might still be
| out on whether Microsoft or the Open Source camp have won the battle around
| smaller form factor devices, activity here has raised the visibility of
| client-side Linux and provided a lot of experience in how to package and roll
| out Linux-based offerings on a mass commercial basis. Indeed, there has been
| a lot more focus within the Linux community around issues such as usability
| and user acceptance, which is quite a departure from the traditional emphasis
| on perceived technical superiority.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/27/desktop_linux/

Is Linux finally ready for the Desktop takeover?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://superphysics.awardspace.com/2009/05/27/is-linux-finally-ready-for-the-desktop-takeover/