[News] High Performance Servers Run GNU/Linux, Apple and Microsoft Out of the Game

  • Subject: [News] High Performance Servers Run GNU/Linux, Apple and Microsoft Out of the Game
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 07:29:56 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

SGI advances Linux on the HPC front

,----[ Quote ]
| WORKSTATION AND SERVER VENDOR Silicon
| Graphics International (SGI) represents
| how a once fiercely proprietary company
| has been able to leverage open source for
| High Performance Computing (HPC), much to
| its benefit.
|
| Following multiple bankruptcies, a change
| of its iconic logo and replacing
| 'Incorporated' with 'International', SGI
| has learned the hard way that the time
| for going it alone is long gone. It many
| ways it has realised long before some
| larger companies that, rather than fight
| a losing battle against the open source
| movement, it should embrace it.
|
| [...]
|
| Pointing to the resource meter, Goh
| explained that the code essentially was a
| memory allocation exercise to show how
| the firm can use a maximum of 16TB of RAM
| as a single memory space. Why stop at
| 16TB? Goh answered his own question by
| stating it was the limitation of the 44-
| bit virtual memory addressing in Intel's
| x86-64 Xeon chip. He claimed that the
| chipmaker will be increasing the virtual
| address length to 46-bits in 2012, which
| will allow for even larger physical
| memory configurations.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/feature/1649635/sgi-advances-linux-hpc

An HPC Field Trip

,----[ Quote ]
| I have attended most of the Wall Street
| shows and noticed that the financial
| sector seems to have bounced back from
| its recent hiccup. On this very nice
| April day, I enjoyed the sights and
| sounds on my walk from the bus terminal
| to the Roosevelt Hotel. Upon arrival, I
| grabbed my press badge and almost walked
| right into Matthijs van Leeuwen from
| Bright Computing. From what I had
| gathered, Bright Computing provides
| cluster management software. I was not
| sure what their âedgeâ was because there
| is certainly no shortage of cluster
| solutions out there.
`----

http://www.linux-mag.com/id/7784/

Reboot

,----[ Quote ]
| gentooexperimental ~ # uptime
|  11:21:14 up 463 days, 17:07,  2 users,  | load average: 0.39, 0.84, 1.62
`----

http://gentooexperimental.org/~patrick/weblog/archives/2010-05.html#e2010-05-20T12_52_26.txt

Recent:

Medical researchers adopt HPC system

,----[ Quote ]
| A team from the National Institute for Health
| Research (NIHR) has called on an IBM-based
| HPC system to help with research on genetics.
`----

http://news.techworld.com/operating-systems/3222125/medical-researchers-adopt-hpc-system/?olo=rss

GNU/Linux Tops TOP500 Supercomputers Again

,----[ Quote ]
| The fact that GNU/Linux totally dominates the top 500 supercomputing list is
| hardly news, but the fact that it has managed to *increase* its market share
| yet further is.
|
| Here are the results for June 2009:
|

|     GNU/Linux 443 (88.6%)
|     Windows 5 (1.0%)
|     Unix 22 (4.4%)
|

| and here are the figures for six months ago:
|

|     GNU/Linux 439 (87.8%)
|     Windows 5 (1.0%)
|     Unix 23 (4.6%)
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/06/gnulinux-tops-top500-supercomputer.html

Linux shows staying power on Top500

,----[ Quote ]
| The latest list indicates growing Linux dominance. Linux is used in the top
| nine supercomputer systems in the world. When considered as the primary OS or
| part of a mixed-OS supersystem, Linux is now present in 469 of the
| supercomputer sites, 93.8% of the Top500 list.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2008/11/25/linux-shows-staying-power-on-top500/

Why is Linux THE FASTEST operating system today?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/locutus/why-is-linux-the-fastest-operating-system-today-28534