[News] ASUS Sells Sub-notebooks Without an Operating System

  • Subject: [News] ASUS Sells Sub-notebooks Without an Operating System
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 08:20:05 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Asus' Eee PC 1201T ultraportable

,----[ Quote ]
| Slapping on Linux solves the cost issue, and
| devotees of open-source operating systems
| may rejoice at the prospect of dodging the
| infamous "Microsoft tax." But does Linux
| really work as well as Windows on a system
| like this? And most importantly, is the
| 1201T's hardware compelling, regardless of
| the OS situation?
`----

http://techreport.com/articles.x/18883

Has ASUS abandoned netbook Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm sure that the real reason is Microsoft
| has pressured Asus into abandoning Linux.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/16161/has_asus_abandoned_netbook_linux

Recent:

Asus announces Eee Pad tablet

,----[ Quote ]
| The firm that popularised netbooks will be
| peddling the Eee Pad, a tablet that will run
| Google's Android operating system. The device
| reportedly will have cutting edge features
| missing on Apple's Ipad, such as USB ports, an
| integrated webcam and even support for Adobe's
| Flash.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1602759/asus-announce-eee-pad-tablet

ASUS is working on an Eee Pad