[News] Tomorrow's Televisions Might All Use Linux, Like Many Other Smart Devices

  • Subject: [News] Tomorrow's Televisions Might All Use Linux, Like Many Other Smart Devices
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 23:56:36 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Google TV Platform introduced

,----[ Quote ]
| At the Google I/O developer conference in San
| Francisco (USA), several leading industry
| players announced the development of Google
| TV â an open platform that merges the web and
| TV. It will be based on the Linux based
| Android platform and runs the Google Chrome
| web browser.
`----

http://www.itrunsonlinux.com/news/174-google-tv-platform-introduced

If it's embedded, it's often Linux...

Mentor, NetLogic join hands for embedded Linux

http://www.siliconindia.com/shownews/Mentor_NetLogic_join_hands_for_embedded_Linux-nid-68118.html

Recent:

Google Unwraps Its Long-Awaited TV Platform; Plans To Ship In Fall

,----[ Quote ]
| With the introduction of Google TV,
| Google (NSDQ: GOOG) is now the latest
| company to try to bridge the gap between
| the web and the TV. The key feature of
| the long-expected platform, which the
| company is unveiling right now at Google
| I/O: A âquick search boxâ that lets users
| quickly look up and access TV broadcasts
| and web content. Engineers demonstrated
| how users could seamlessly switch between
| watching a video from anywhere on the web
| and watching a live TV broadcast. Users
| can also visit a website at the same time
| that they watch a broadcastâa scenario
| that could be useful if, for instance,
| somebody wanted to look up sports stats
| related to an ongoing game.
`----

http://paidcontent.org/article/419-google-unwraps-its-long-awaited-tv-platform/

Google TV to mix Android, Chrome, and Atom

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Google-TV-announcement/?kc=rss

Sony Shifts on Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| The partnership between Sony Corp. and
| Google Inc. highlights the changes taking
| place in TV viewing habits, but it is
| also symbolic of another change: Sonyâs
| stance on open-source technology.
`----

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2010/05/21/sony-shifts-on-open-source/

Introducing Google TV

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/1007/7139?WT.ac=gtv|7099|seethevideo_google

Schmidt Makes The TV Rounds Talking Google TV

,----[ Quote ]
| So, the usual question for Google (NSDQ:
| GOOG) in the wake of its announcement of
| Google TV: How will it make money from a
| platform that it will be licensing to
| device makers for free?
`----

http://paidcontent.org/article/419-videos-schmidt-makes-the-tv-rounds-on-google-tv/

Um, Did Google Just Quietly Launch A Web-Based iTunes Competitor? Yep.

,----[ Quote ]
| Today at Google I/O, Vic Gundotra
| introduced Froyo, aka Android 2.2. But he
| also went a bit beyond Froyo. Coming
| soon, is a way to download an app through
| the Android Market over the web â and
| have it automatically download on your
| Android devices too. But thatâs not all.
| Gundotra also showed off a new section of
| the Market â Music. Yes, an iTunes
| competitor on the web from Google.
`----

http://techcrunch.com/2010/05/20/um-did-google-just-quietly-launch-a-web-based-itunes-competitor-yep/

Is your tv running Linux? (yet)

,----[ Quote ]
| Some manufacturers are using Linux for their
| television sets, Sony for instance has a
| impressive list of tv's which are running
| Linux.
`----

http://www.handlewithlinux.com/televison-runs-linux

CANADA VENTURE: TransGaming Bringing Video Games To TV

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20100303-710956.html?mod=WSJ_World_MIDDLEHeadlinesAmericas