[News] More Linux/Android Comes to More Devices, Powers Television

  • Subject: [News] More Linux/Android Comes to More Devices, Powers Television
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 05:55:48 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Google TV is 'un-Sony-like'

,----[ Quote ]
| Sony embracing an open platform like
| Google TV for its home electronics
| business is a pretty big change for the
| company.
|
| And Sony's Chairman and CEO tends to
| agree. "It seems very un-Sony-like," Sir
| Howard Stringer allowed at a press
| conference Thursday afternoon following
| the introduction of Sony Internet TV, the
| first TV with the Google TV platform.
| Sony's TV will run Android OS and use
| Google search to allow users to browse and
| watch programming from the Web and from a
| channel service provider.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20005558-260.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Google, Sony and Android: TV and much, much more

,----[ Quote ]
| In the wake of Google's announcement of
| the Google Android-based TV, Google and
| Sony have unveiled plans for Android-based
| entertainment products that go well beyond
| TV. And other partners have joined the
| Google TV bandwagon.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/your-it-news/entertainment/39299-google-sony-and-android-tv-and-much-much-more

Amazon jumps into Androidland

,----[ Quote ]
| ONLINE BOOKSELLER Amazon will be offering
| an app that will allow users of Android
| smartphones to read books in the Kindle
| format.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1649042/amazon-jumps-androidland

Android mobile phones get streaming TV

,----[ Quote ]
| MOBILE TV OUTFIT Yamgo has released beta
| software for Android users so that they
| can see live streaming of high-quality
| mobile TV and video on demand.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1649539/android-mobile-phones-streaming-tv

Whereis Navigator finds its way to Android

,----[ Quote ]
| Whereis Navigator provides turn-by-turn
| GPS navigation on Android phones such as
| the HTC Desire and the Sony Ericsson
| Xperia X10.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/your-it-news/mobility/39218-whereis-navigator-finds-its-way-to-android

Android 2.2: An Introduction

,----[ Quote ]
| Codenamed "Froyo," for frozen yogurt,
| Android 2.2 includes more than 20 new
| features geared to enterprises, said
| Google's Vic Gundotra, vice president of
| engineering. Among these is integration
| with the Microsoft Exchange messaging
| system, with such capabilities as account
| auto-discovery and linkage with the
| Exchange global address book. Calendar
| synchronization is offered as well.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/196880/android_22_an_introduction.html

Google unveils Froyo Android update

,----[ Quote ]
| Google said that the Android 2.2 software
| update, code-named Froyo, would be
| available to download on to Android-based
| handsets "soon". It brings a host of new
| features running the Google-backed, open
| source operating system, including device
| tethering, so that laptop users can
| piggyback off the phone's 3G data
| connection to surf the web, and full Adobe
| Flash support in the browser.
`----

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/google/7749764/Google-unveils-Froyo-Android-update.html

Android Gingerbread features : Version 2.3 announced

,----[ Quote ]
| The Android operating systems are based on
| Linux kernels so with ever advancement of
| a kernel release, the Android gets one
| step ahead. The Froyo, featured as Android
| Operating System version 2.2 is based on
| Linux kernel version 2.6.32 which is
| expected to be released shortly for
| commercial use. The next version of
| Android operating system, Gingerbread will
| be featured upon Linux Kernel version
| 2.6.33 or 2.6.34 on no longer than end of
| this year.
`----

http://www.shuttervoice.com/4064/android-gingerbread-features-version-2-3-announced.html

Next Android Update 'Gingerbread' Later This Year

http://www.techtree.com/India/News/Next_Android_Update_Gingerbread_Later_This_Year/551-111323-580.html

iPhone vs Android? Still wondering?

,----[ Quote ]
| 2. So far, Google hasnât tried to censor
| Android applications the way Apple have
| been censoring their app store. Iâm an
| adult and I really resent being told what
| kind of applications I can run on my
| phone. If someone told me what apps I
| could run on my computer, Iâd have some
| choice words for them too. Applications
| censored have included gay content and
| political satire.
|
| 3. Android is available on a wide range of
| devices. I had a choice between products
| by Samsung, Sony Ericsson, HTC and
| Motorola. There are phones with hardware
| qwerty keyboards, although most are
| touchscreen phones. Also, the hardware is,
| in many ways, better. You can remove the
| battery from all of them, they have room
| to expand the memory using Micro SD cards
| (the industry standard) and use the micro-
| USB charging socket, which means cheaper
| and more readily available accessories for
| your device. You can also get a new
| battery â or a second battery, even, in
| case youâre ever caught out.
`----

http://lezgetreal.com/?p=33423&cpage=1

Google I/O 2010: Day of the Droids

,----[ Quote ]
| Google has lined up support from Sony,
| Logitech, and Intel for the Google TV
| initiative. Thatâs a start, but not nearly
| enough for this thing to take off. There
| is a lot of skepticism that anyone can
| pull this off, and many will wait and see
| before committing. It may take a while
| (read: years), but this one has a lot of
| potential. After all there are over 4
| billion TV watchers out there - an
| audience that dwarfs even the mobile phone
| market. The first hardware will be on sale
| in time for this yearâs holiday season.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/burnette/google-io-2010-day-of-the-droids/1944

Photos: Google I/O pitches future of web dev

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/emerging-tech/2010/05/20/photos-google-io-pitches-future-of-web-dev-40088991/

Recent:

LG Ally available for preorder from Verizon

http://www.cnet.com/8301-19736_1-20004889-251.html

HTC Evo 4G preorders begin at Best Buy, Radio Shack

http://www.cnet.com/8301-19736_1-20004903-251.html

HTC spins budget Android 2.1 phone with app-sharing feature

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/HTC-Wildfire/?kc=rss