[News] Microsoft Happy About Subverting âDigital Agenda for Europeâ With Its Lobbyists, Threatens Android

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft Happy About Subverting âDigital Agenda for Europeâ With Its Lobbyists, Threatens Android
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 06:31:50 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Microsoft Welcomes the âDigital Agenda for Europeâ

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft welcomes the âDigital Agenda for
| Europe,â announced earlier this week by
| European Commission Vice-President for the
| Digital Agenda Neelie Kroes, as a bold
| roadmap for action. We share the
| Commissionâs view that technology is an
| enabler for economic growth, job creation,
| sustainability and social inclusion. As a
| company, we are fully committed to working
| with the European Commission and
| governments to realize the potential of
| Europe's digital future.
`----

http://www.rdmag.com/News/Feeds/2010/05/information-tech-microsoft-welcomes-the-digital-agenda-for-europe-/

HTC, Microsoft wade deeper into patent thickets

,----[ Quote ]
| (Update, 2:25 p.m. A Microsoft publicist
| provided a link to a March blog post by
| company vice president and deputy general
| counsel Horacio Gutierrez that essentially
| says that Apple's suit is for everybody's
| own good: "The smartphone market is still
| in a nascent state; much innovation still
| lies ahead in this field. In all nascent
| technology markets, there is a period
| early where IP rights will be sorted out."
| Later on in the post, Gutierrez opines
| that "Open innovation is only possible
| through the licensing of third party IP
| rights," which makes me wonder what he
| thinks of the open, innovative and patent-
| free World Wide Web.)
`----

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/fasterforward/2010/04/htc_microsoft_wade_deeper_into.html

Microsoft Deal With HTC Could Slow Android's Adoption

http://www.nasdaq.com/aspx/stock-market-news-story.aspx?storyid=201004281657dowjonesdjonline000797&title=microsoft-deal-with-htc-could-slow-androids-adoption

Steve Ballmer: Vista Was "Not Executed Well"; "There's Nothing Free About Android"

,----[ Quote ]
| When asked about Android giving away
| Android for free versus Microsoft, which
| charges smart phone carriers, Ballmer took
| issue with that assessment, stating, "And
| there's nothing free about Android.  I
| mean at the end of the day as we certainly
| have asserted in a number of cases you
| know there's an intellectual property
| royalty due on that.  Whether they happen
| to charge for their software or not is
| their business decision."
`----

http://www.dailytech.com/Steve+Ballmer+Vista+Was+Not+Executed+Well+Theres+Nothing+Free+About+Android/article18464.htm

McKool Smith Earns National Litigation Ranking

,----[ Quote ]
| In naming McKool Smith as the top patent
| litigation firm in the southern U.S., the
| editors of MIP said the firm had
| "distinguished itself litigating patent
| infringement cases for companies like i4i
| and VirnetX Holdings. It has scored a
| number of wins against Microsoft, totaling
| nearly $400 million."
`----

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/mckool-smith-earns-national-litigation-ranking-93304779.html

Petitions to Watch | Conference of 5.20.10

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.scotusblog.com/2010/05/petitions-to-watch-conference-of-5-20-10/#more-20287