[News] GNU GCC is Improving, Other New Compilers

  • Subject: [News] GNU GCC is Improving, Other New Compilers
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 06:44:08 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Intel Core 2, Core i7 Optimizations For GCC 4.6

,----[ Quote ]
| CodeSourcery, a company that works on GCC
| for various companies like with Texas
| Instruments for bringing the GNU Toolchain
| to new CPUs and also offers their own
| software development environment, has
| shared their intentions to provide a new
| set of GCC optimizations for Intel's Core
| 2 and Core i7 processors.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODI2OQ

PyPy: the other new compiler project

,----[ Quote ]
| We have recently seen a lot of attention
| paid to projects like LLVM. Even though
| the GNU Compiler Collection is developing
| at a rapid pace, there are people in the
| community who are interested in seeing
| different approaches taken, preferably
| with a newer code base. LLVM is not where
| all the action is, though. For the last
| few years (since 2003, actually), a
| relatively stealthy project called PyPy
| has been trying to shake up the compiler
| landscape in its own way.
`----

https://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/388160/7bf6baf1004c75d3/

If You Want Freedom, Donât Use Proprietary Software [VIDEO]

,----[ Quote ]
| Like many heroes of the digital era,
| Richard Stallman is largely unsung by the
| general populace. Yet when it comes to
| user privacy and technological freedom,
| heâs probably one of the most committed
| individuals in the world.