[News] GNU/Linux Produces Profitable Businesses, Red Hat's CEO Talks About Profit From Software Freedom

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux Produces Profitable Businesses, Red Hat's CEO Talks About Profit From Software Freedom
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 23:10:47 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Who said Linux couldn't make you money?

,----[ Quote ]
| But someone has done it, and done it well.
| That someone? The Linux Box. The âBoxâ was
| established in 1999 in order to provide
| regional, national, and international
| customers with support for open source
| technologies. On top of that, they commit
| 20% of their budget back into open source
| software development (to projects like
| OpenAFS, Moodle, Drupal, dotProject,
| Jobby, Squid, and more). Located in Ann
| Arbor Michigan, The Linux Box works
| closely with the community and has built
| its business around close collaboration
| with customers.
`----

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=1564

Show me the money...

,----[ Quote ]
| Every day I come to work, I get excited
| about the possibilities of the power of
| participation: to solve complex problems,
| to share knowledge, to bring people
| together. Opensource.com has been a great
| vehicle for me to learn and participate in
| a dialog about the power of open source
| principlesâ-especially when applied beyond
| software.
|
| I believe together we can solve many of
| the most complex problems our world faces.
| I also believe strongly that we, as a
| society, will never fully realize the full
| potential of the power of participation
| unless and until we find vehicles for
| individuals and institutions (both public
| and private) to directly profit from it.
|
| [...]
|
| Red Hat is an example: our mission is to
| be the catalyst in communities. Our
| community/enterprise model clearly works,
| but we need to find more business models
| to encourage others to play catalytic
| roles and foster their own communities of
| participation.
`----

http://opensource.com/business/10/5/show-me-money

How to Sell Linux

http://linuxandall.wordpress.com/2010/05/22/how-to-sell-linux/

Recent:

Canonical's services play: Revenue windfall or trap?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.infoworld.com/d/developer-world/canonicals-services-play-revenue-windfall-or-trap-878