[News] GNU/Linux Has Come Very Far on the Desktop, Works Better Than Windows

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux Has Come Very Far on the Desktop, Works Better Than Windows
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 23:19:11 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The View from Mudsock Heights: Linux Has Come Far -- In One Case, Maybe Too Far

,----[ Quote ]
| The free software movement, which in many
| respects means the Linux operating system,
| is a puzzle to those accustomed to paying
| for things. Software is expensive stuff â
| how good can the stuff be if it doesnât
| cost anything?
|
| Actually, very, very good.
|
| [...]
|
| Then, in July 1998, the desktop problem
| started to be solved. Thatâs when KDE 1.0
| was released. I downloaded, compiled, and
| installed it that very first day, and it
| blew me away. Linux was now easy to use,
| sort of. KDE (which stood for the âKDE
| Desktop Environment,â in that self-
| referential Linux way) could do things in
| version 1.0 more than a decade ago that
| only the latest Windows can do.
`----

http://www.ofb.biz/safari/article/641.html

Washing the windows myths. Device support.

,----[ Quote ]
| There is a common mantra which windows
| advocates like to chant. I guess it has a
| calming influence for them as they
| navigate the labyrinth of installing new
| hardware on their machines. The mantra
| goes like this, windows has better device
| support. This mantra, while boosting the
| superiority complex of windows advocates,
| is simply a myth.
|
| It is said that myths generally have a
| germ of truth in them and I have to agree.
| Many years ago windows did have superior
| device support. That has all changed now.
| In fact the situation has reversed. Linux
| now has superior device support when
| compared to windows and arguably any other
| operating system. The reason for this is
| due to the differences between the way
| windows and Linux look at hardware device
| drivers.
|
| [...]
|
| The proof is in the pudding. Do this
| experiment, if you dare. If you have not
| already lost your windows drivers disks,
| put them away under lock and key. Format
| your hard drive and install windows from
| scratch, without installing any other
| drivers. How much of your hardware works?
| Now do the same for Linux. You will find
| that more of your hardware works with a
| standard install of just about any modern
| Linux distribution. Including printers,
| webcams, scanners and other peripherals.
`----

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/locutus/washing-the-windows-myths-device-support-38896

Recent:

Sheldon Cooper: Ubuntu User

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, if you are a Linux fan and you have
| not noticed, Sheldon Cooper, the self-
| proclaimed genius and truest nerd on The
| Big Bang Theory has been seen using
| Ubuntu.
`----

http://techie-buzz.com/foss/sheldon-cooper-ubuntu-user.html