[News] NVIDIA 256 Beta Linux Driver; Why VIA Fails

  • Subject: [News] NVIDIA 256 Beta Linux Driver; Why VIA Fails
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 23:41:54 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

NVIDIA 256 Beta Linux Driver Released

,----[ Quote ]
| NVIDIA has rolled out its first beta in
| the expected 256.xx driver series for
| Linux, Windows, and other supported
| platforms. Last month we asked what you
| wanted from the NVIDIA 256.xx driver and
| while many of the respondents didn't get
| their greatest wishes answered, the 256.25
| beta driver does offer quite a bit of
| changes over the previous-generation
| proprietary NVIDIA driver.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODI3Mw

How VIA Could Have Not Screwed Its Linux Chances

,----[ Quote ]
| Yesterday we reported on how VIA's open-
| source Linux dreams are not materializing
| and then this morning reported on a new
| secret driver being developed (xf86-video-
| openvia) between VIA Technologies, some
| VIA "friends", and the OpenChrome
| developers. However, as I said in this
| morning's VIA article, the situation is
| still a murky mess, this new OpenVIA
| driver isn't receiving much work, the DRM
| code with TTM/GEM memory management is
| still missing, and these open-source
| efforts by VIA are not very well
| organized.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODI4Mw

VIA's Linux Strategy Takes A Turn With Hidden Driver

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=via_open_turn&num=1

VIA's Linux Dreams Are Not Materializing

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODI3OA

Recent:

Free NVIDIA Fermi Cards To Open-Source Developers

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODE4Mg