[News] Short Review of Beta of NimbleX 2010 (GNU/Linux), List of Preferred Distros

  • Subject: [News] Short Review of Beta of NimbleX 2010 (GNU/Linux), List of Preferred Distros
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 00:10:54 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

First look at NimbleX 2010 (Beta)

,----[ Quote ]
| NimbleX NimbleX, based on Slackware Linux,
| is a project which attempts to provide a
| small, yet fully functional, desktop
| operating system for people on the go.
| Specifically, NimbleX provides a modern
| KDE desktop on a live CD or Flash drive.
| The project also provides a tool called
| Custom NimbleX, which allows the user to
| customize their ISO image prior to
| downloading it. Before taking NimbleX for
| a test drive, I had a chance to talk with
| Bogdan Radulescu, creator of the
| distribution.
`----

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20100524#feature

Top 5 Free Linux Distributions for Desktop Computing in 2010

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Nick Carr, marketing director
| of Red Hat, Linux desktop has developed
| very rapidly over the past few years. Even
| from the technology viewpoint the Linux
| desktop is well developed, feature rich
| and mature. What adds to the merit is the
| low cost, better security and
| manageability. It's also well suited to a
| wide range of customer deployments. Well,
| coming to the Linux distributions for
| Desktop computing, Red Hat's Fedora has
| created significant impact, but its not
| the only one in the market. Another
| remarkable Linux distribution for the
| desktop is on the rise, a completely free
| distro Ubuntu. It has been widely
| supported by online communities. While it
| would be great to include several
| distributions on this list, the reality is
| we had to filter out the best Linux
| distribution for desktop computing.  A
| typical desktop Linux distribution
| comprises a Linux kernel, GNU tools and
| libraries, additional software,
| documentation, a window system and window
| manager. We delved into the Linux
| distributions for desktop computing and
| queued up a list of top 5 distros.
`----

http://blog.taragana.com/index.php/archive/top-5-free-linux-distributions-for-desktop-computing-in-2010/

Recent:

NimbleX 2010 Beta Makes the Switch to KDE4

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/NimbleX-2010-Beta-Makes-the-Switch-to-KDE4-141054.shtml