[News] Debian GNU/Linux Gets Improvements, Fresh Developments

  • Subject: [News] Debian GNU/Linux Gets Improvements, Fresh Developments
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 00:17:54 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

More flexible firmware handling in debian-installer

,----[ Quote ]
| After a long break from debian-installer
| development, I finally found time today to
| return to the project. Having to spend less
| time working dependency based boot in debian,
| as it is almost complete now, definitely
| helped freeing some time.
`----

http://people.skolelinux.org/pere/blog/More_flexible_firmware_handling_in_debian_installer.html

Recent changes in dpkg

,----[ Quote ]
| The versions 1.15.6 and 1.15.7 of dpkg
| introduced several important changes.
| Let's skim over them:
|
|   * The dpkg-maintscript-helper tool has been
|   introduced in dpkg 1.15.7.2 to help
|   packagers deal with renaming conffiles and
|   removing obsolete conffiles. Check its
|   manual page dpkg-maintscript-helper(1) for
|   more details on how to use it. This shell
|   script might be extended over time to cover
|   other common operations. Feel free to make
|   suggestions while it's not too late to make
|   changes on this new interface.
`----

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.devel.announce/1480

Recent:

Stefano Zacchiroli (Debian Leader): Local communities are important

,----[ Quote ]
| Stefano Zacchiroli, a new Debian Project
| Leader, in an interview with Polish Debian
| Portal speaks about this yearâs campaign,
| realase policy of the project, the Debian
| GNU/kFreeBSD port and other non-linux
| ports, and the role of local Debian
| communities.
`----