[News] OpenOffice.org Kept Free With FSF Intervention

  • Subject: [News] OpenOffice.org Kept Free With FSF Intervention
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 07:10:19 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

OpenOffice.org Extensions: Are Two Repositories Better than One?

,----[ Quote ]
| The Free Software Foundation announced an
| alternative OpenOffice.org extensions
| repository, which will list only
| extensions released under free software
| licenses.
`----

http://robertogaloppini.net/2010/05/24/openofficeorg-extensions-are-two-repositories-better-than-one/

Can OpenOffice.org regain momentum?

,----[ Quote ]
| The latest evidence, from my friend
| Roberto Galoppini in Rome, is word that
| the Free Software Foundation has felt
| moved to create its own list of
| OpenOffice.org extensions, on its
| LibrePlanet wiki.
|
| The release from Peter Brown is polite.
| âThe FSF asked the OpenOffice.org
| Community Council to list only free
| software extensions, or to provide a
| second independent listing which only
| included free extensions, but they
| declined to change their policy.â
`----

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/can-openofficeorg-regain-momentum/6558

How Could the NetBeans Team Make Money from the NetBeans Platform?

,----[ Quote ]
| With the snowballing interest in NetBeans
| Platform usage (here's a nice list of
| +-150 screenshots and counting), is there
| a place, somewhere/somehow, where
| Sun/Oracle/NetBeans could make actual
| money from the NetBeans Platform? (And
| would the amount of money be an
| "interesting" amount?)
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/geertjan/entry/how_could_the_netbeans_team

Recent:

Organizations Switching from Microsoft Office Choose OpenOffice Over Google Docs: New Survey by Info-Tech Research Group

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's decision to discontinue
| support for Office 2003 or older means
| that organizations using these suites will
| soon have to bite the bullet and decide
| whether to upgrade to Office 2010 or find
| an alternative solution. Google has been
| pushing hard for organizations to make the
| switch to Google Docs, but Info-Tech
| Research Group suggests that most
| organizations should not make the switch.
| However, when a full or limited migration
| is validated, OpenOffice is the way to go.
|
| "Our research shows that no other
| alternative suite stands up to the
| features, reliability and familiar feel of
| OpenOffice making it the best option for
| organizations making a full switch or
| planning a limited deployment of an
| alternative suite," said Tim Hickernell,
| Lead Research Analyst for Info-Tech
| Research Group. "Google Docs does have the
| collaboration aspect going for them, but
| when it comes to spreadsheets,
| presentations and word processing,
| OpenOffice is far superior to other
| alternatives."
`----

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/organizations-switching-from-microsoft-office-choose-openoffice-over-google-docs-new-survey-by-info-tech-research-group-94129964.html

OpenOffice.org Conference 2010: Call for Papers

,----[ Quote ]
| This year's OpenOffice.org Conference will
| take place from the 31st of August to the
| 2rd of September in the Hungarian capital
| of Budapest. The 10th anniversary event
| for the free open source office suite is
| open to users, developers and contributors
| and will focus on a number of topics, such
| as the OpenDocument Format (ODF),
| development and interoperability.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/OpenOffice-org-Conference-2010-Call-for-Papers-1002520.html

6 Advanced OpenOffice.org Extensions

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenOffice.org (OOo for short) is a powerful
| open source and multi-platform office suite,
| and is even comparable to Microsoft Office.
| However, there's always room-to-grow,
| features to improve, and things to customize.
| Luckily, the open source community provides a
| great repository of extensions and add-ons.
| Today, we'll look at six of them. Now let's
| get started!
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/7066/1/

9 More OpenOffice Extensions