[News] Government of France and Texas Lean Towards Free/Open Source/Open Data

  • Subject: [News] Government of France and Texas Lean Towards Free/Open Source/Open Data
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 07:32:21 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

FR: Chamber of Commerce selects open source for craftsmen

,----[ Quote ]
| A DVD with a selection of free and open
| source software applications tailored to
| very small businesses (VSBs), was
| published by the Chamber of Commerce for
| Crafts and Trades of the French Somme
| Department, earlier this year.
|
| "Our goal is to assist VSBs in their use
| of office productivity tools and business
| applications", writes Alain Bethfort,
| president of the organisation, in his
| introduction.
`----

http://www.osor.eu/news/fr-chamber-of-commerce-selects-open-source-for-craftsmen

Texas moves emphasize need to open source education

,----[ Quote ]
| Texas has created an enormous opportunity
| for states, for communities, for
| publishers, and for authors to use open
| source and mass customization to transform
| education, just as those savings are most
| needed.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/texas-moves-emphasize-need-to-open-source-education/6561

Spreading the Word about Open Government Data

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the most amazing - and heartening -
| developments in the world of openness
| recently has been the emergence of the
| open government movement. Although still
| in its early stages, this will potentially
| have important ramifications for business,
| since one of the ideas at its heart is the
| opening up of government datasets for
| anyone to use and build on - including for
| commercial purposes (depending on the
| particular licences). The UK and US are
| leading the way in this sphere, and an
| important question is to what extent the
| experiences of these two countries can be
| generalised.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?blogid=14&entryid=2976

Recent: