[News] OSI Blog Slams Microsoft for Its Fake "Open Source" Gestures

  • Subject: [News] OSI Blog Slams Microsoft for Its Fake "Open Source" Gestures
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 07:50:16 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

To Microsoft, Open Source means "Windows Encumbered"

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the most interesting things to happen
| in the past couple of years, is Microsoft's
| embrace of Open Source. This means different
| things to various people I've spoken with at
| Microsoft. Some seem genuinely sincere. Some
| seem less so. What hasn't changed is
| Microsoft's behavior to the Open Source
| community at large.
|
|     * They have not retracted their patent
|     FUD against Linux.
|     * They (a founding member of the BSA) did
|     not speak out against the BSA/IIPA's
|     attempt to have the US government equate
|     Open Source with piracy and as anti-
|     capitalist.
|     * They continue to attack, with legal
|     action or threats, any open source that
|     competes with any of their core products.
|     * They continue to hijack standards
|     boards with "standards" that are
|     encumbered by patent or platform
|     constraints.
|
| Microsoft's version of Open Source Software
| (MSOSS) means software licensed under an Open
| Source License which is encumbered with a
| dependency on SharePoint, Microsoft Office,
| Microsoft SQL Server or Microsoft Windows
| (Azure or classic). This underscores
| something critical that we have all learned
| over the past few years while on our journey
| towards freer technology. That is that Open
| Source licenses are NOT enough to ensure
| (corporate or consumer) end-user empowerment.
| We also need Open Standards and Open Data.
`----

http://opensource.org/Microsoft-Open-Source

Recent:

Former Sun open source officer joins OSI board

,----[ Quote ]
| Simon Phipps, who was chief open source
| officer at Sun Microsystems for the past
| five years, has become a member of the
| Open Source Initiative (OSI) board of
| directors.
|
| In an email response to questions
| Thursday, Phipps said he was not offered a
| position at Oracle, which closed its
| acquisition of Sun in January.  Phipps
| worked nearly 10 years at the now-defunct
| company.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/d/adventures-in-it/former-sun-open-source-officer-joins-osi-board-109

Simon Phipps elected as OSI director