[News] GNU/Linux Better Than Just Linux

Why GNU+Linux is > GNU/Linux and > just Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Let's get the obvious out of the way, we
| advocate for computer software users'
| freedom. The Free Software Foundation and GNU
| Project are responsible for most of the
| software we use everyday. At InaTux
| Computers, we of course use the GNU Compiler
| Collection (GCC) to compile custom Linux
| kernels (when customers want them), as well
| as other custom software modifications
| customers may want (such as hardware
| optimization). Our compiling is of course
| done in GNOME Terminal running GNU BASH, and
| most software we compile require the GNU C
| Library, GTK+, gtkmm, etc.
`----

http://www.inatux.com/article?r=why-gnu-linux-is-gnu-linux-and-just-linux

Recent:

There's nothing wrong with being thankful (or why I say GNU/Linux)

,----[ Quote ]
| For example, simplicity for newcomers: What
| about when you have a distro that doesn't have
| Linux inside of it? Say, Debian's hurd or
| kFreeBSD or NetBSD ports? Those are distros,
| but Linux is not to be found inside cause it
| (the kernel) has been replaced for another
| kernel. What are we gonna call them? Debian
| Non-Linux? Go figure how you will explain that
| to newcomers ("sure... it's Debian Linux...
| but it has no linux... yet it is linux".
| Priceless).
|
| Some people have said that it's out of
| Stallman's big ego that he wants everybody to
| call it GNU. Well, I think Stallman hits the
| nail (at least on the funny part) when he says
| that "sure... and that's why I ask people to
| call it Stallmanix". So I think it's not out
| of ego... but maybe if he had named the OS
| Stallmanix in the first place, we wouldn't be
| having this argument as it (too) is more
| catchy than GNU. :-)
`----

http://maratux.blogspot.com/2010/01/theres-nothing-wrong-with-being.html

The Wikipedia "Naming Controversy" by Joshua Gay

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://exploringfreedom.org/2008/07/17/the-wikipedia-naming-controversy-by-joshua-gay/