[News] A Look at Ubuntu's Unity Desktop, Ubuntu 10.04

  • Subject: [News] A Look at Ubuntu's Unity Desktop, Ubuntu 10.04
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 13:53:43 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Ubuntu's Unity Desktop: Reality vs. Rationales

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the past year, Ubuntu has become one
| of the centers for usability design on the
| Linux desktop. You might criticize this
| effort because it takes place in the
| distribution, rather than as contributions
| to the GNOME desktop, but at least it is
| happening. Moreover, this effort is being
| discussed far beyond the outer reaches of
| the Ubuntu community.
|
| Part of the reason for this discussion is
| because Ubuntu's popularity automatically
| makes it influential.
|
| Yet an even more important reason for the
| interest is that Ubuntu founder Mark
| Shuttleworth has made usability his
| personal obsession. Not only has he
| withdrawn from managing the business
| affairs of Canonical, Ubuntu's commercial
| arm, in order to devote his full attention
| to it, but -- what really matters -- he
| blogs about usability decisions as they
| are announced.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3884051

Five Usability Improvements in Ubuntu 10.04

,----[ Quote ]
| While no operating system is perfectly
| intuitive, Ubuntu gives its competitors a
| good run when it comes to usability.
| Other Linux distributions, and proprietary
| operating systems, certainly do some
| things better than Ubuntu.  But all in
| all, Iâm impressed with the attention to
| user-friendliness evident in Lucid.
`----

http://www.workswithu.com/2010/05/25/five-usability-improvements-in-ubuntu-10-04/

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS: Lucid Lynx Benchmarked And Reviewed

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu 10.04 LTS comes with a video editor
| pre-installed--a widely perceived weak
| point in desktop Linux distributions.
| PiTiVi is probably the best choice to
| bundle with Ubuntu. It is one of the
| easiest-to-use video editors out there,
| yet still robust enough to keep most users
| from seeking an upgrade. Throw in the best
| GTK conformity, and PiTiVi is the obvious
| choice for Ubuntu. With a minimalist
| interface and a focus on drag-and-drop
| interaction, this app finally brings Linux
| users a video editor that can seriously
| compete with Windows Movie Maker for user-
| friendliness.
`----

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ubuntu-10.04-lucid-lynx,2634.html

Ubuntu Live CD As A Forensics Too

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu is one of the best open source
| computer operating system based on the
| Debian GNU/Linux distribution. Ubuntu
| provides an up-to-date, stable operating
| system for the average user, with a strong
| focus on usability and ease of
| installation. The Ubiquity installer
| allows Ubuntu to be installed to the hard
| disk directly from the Live CD, without
| requiring the computer to be restarted
| prior to installation.
`----

http://ptlbindia.blogspot.com/2010/05/ubuntu-live-cd-as-forensics-tool.html

Recent:

My thoughts on Ubuntu 10.04

,----[ Quote ]
| So, why did I go back to Ubuntu? Why did I
| not stay on PCLinuxOS? Well, because KDE
| and GTK apps fought over control of Audio,
| and it forced me to use mostly GTK apps in
| a KDE environment. So, I wanted to go back
| to a GNOME distribution that offered great
| PulseAudio support, and something I
| havenât tried yet. So, although Iâve used
| previous versions of Ubuntu, I have had
| yet to give 10.04 a try. Not to mention
| Ubuntu 10.04 is normally my fall-back
| distribution where I normally expect
| everything to work.
|
| So anyway, to start off with, I kind of
| avoided using Ubuntu 10.04 for the first
| few weeks after release. Not because it
| was a new release or anything, but I
| wanted to give other distributions a try,
| and I wasnât really agreeing with some of
| the things Canonical was doing, and the
| attitude they had towards their users when
| the users were showing their discontent on
| the changes that Ubuntu had made to the
| titlebar, or the fact Ubuntu was trying to
| look and act like Mac OS X. Also, I tried
| the Beta out and I wasnât too big of a fan
| of it, even though I tried it in a VM.
| With the factors of the last time I tried
| 10.04 that it was in beta and that I tried
| it in a VM, and that I was getting a bit
| ticked off at PCLinuxOS KDE not wanting to
| properly install PulseAudio, I felt âWhy
| not give Ubuntu 10.04 a try.â
|
| [...]
|
| So overall Ubuntu 10.04 is a very nice
| distribution. I did have a few issues with
| it here and there, but nothing too much.
| Some of the issues I did have with it
| before even using the final version were
| more to do with Canonicalâs decisions, and
| the attitude towards the users that were
| showing their discontent towards the
| changes they made. Overall, I would
| definitely recommend it to somebody who is
| looking to start out with Linux â that,
| along with Mint, PCLinuxOS, or Mandriva. I
| would definitely say give this a try and
| tell me your thoughts on it in the
| comments! Thanks for reading, and if you
| want to, subscribe clicking on the link at
| the top right of my blog!
`----

http://www.condoulo.com/?p=184

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall I think 10.04 is another great
| step forward to Ubnutu and Linux in
| general to get into the hands and homes of
| the average user. Kudos to the Ubuntu team
| for a great OS distro, keep up the great
| work guys!
`----

http://technonoob.wordpress.com/2010/05/20/ubuntu-10-04-lts/

More Ubuntu 10.04

,----[ Quote ]
| The software bundled with Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
| Lucid Lynx is much the same as the past
| few versions â Firefox, OpenOffice,
| Rhythmbox (think iTunes), and F-Spot (for
| digital cameras) â so you neednât scour
| around for the essentials. GIMP
| (Photoshop-like image editor, but without
| CMYK support) is not in by default any
| more but easily added.
|
| When you do need to install something
| else, a new Ubuntu Software Centre offers
| a cheerful interface, for a large
| repository of free apps.
`----

http://technonoob.wordpress.com/2010/05/21/more-ubuntu-10-04/