[News] Free Software Grows in African, Other Free Software News

  • Subject: [News] Free Software Grows in African, Other Free Software News
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 14:36:40 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Open-source services show signs of growth in Africa

,----[ Quote ]
| Changing procurement rules and
| regulations, increased uptake of open-
| source-based certification and growth in
| the software and hardware markets has led
| to the rise of businesses that were
| previously ignored.
|
| [...]
|
| Most open-source software service
| companies were considered too small to get
| big contracts and did not have the capital
| to invest in technical support compared to
| established proprietary software
| companies.
`----

http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=CBC3C516-1A64-6A71-CEF84F1FA8FFF346

CloudCourse: An Enterprise Application in the Cloud

,----[ Quote ]
| At Google we have experts on everything
| from Python to penguins. However,
| connecting our expert teachers to eager
| students around the globe can be a
| complicated business. To that end, we are
| excited to release our new internal
| learning platform, CloudCourse under an
| open source license. Built entirely on App
| Engine, CloudCourse allows anyone to
| create and track learning activities.
| CloudCourse also offers calendaring,
| waitlist management and approval features.
`----

http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2010/05/cloudcourse-enterprise-application-in.html

EditShare Announces First Ever Lightworks Open Source platform

,----[ Quote ]
| Though its not Blender related news it is
| open source news for editing which I felt
| warranted mention here.  Iâll let you in
| the community  figure out if its worth it
| or not. From what Iâve read it on their
| site, it looks impressive.  Have any of
| you ever used it?
`----

http://www.blendernation.com/editshare-announces-first-ever-lightworks-open-source-platform/

SabreDAV PHP framework becomes calendar server

,----[ Quote ]
| Most calendar clients are able to use the
| CalDAV protocol which allows remote
| swapping of appointments â however, there
| is a shortage of open source CalDAV
| servers. Version 1.2 of open source PHP
| framework SabreDAV now includes the
| requisite functionality.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/SabreDAV-PHP-framework-becomes-calendar-server-1006655.html

BitTorrent open sources ÂTP protocol

,----[ Quote ]
| BiTtorrent has open sourced an update to
| its popular peer-to-peer  file-sharing
| protocol.
`----

http://www.thinq.co.uk/news/2010/5/25/bittorrent-open-sources-tp-protocol/

Digital Parallels Embraces Zenoss for Managed Services

,----[ Quote ]
| Zenoss, maker of open source monitoring
| software, has added another managed
| services adopter: Digital Parallels, a
| master MSP in the United Kingdom. Although
| most MSPmentor 100 companies seem to be
| using traditional closed-source software,
| there are niches where open source
| alternatives are gaining momentum. Hereâs
| a closer look at Zenoss and open source in
| the MSP ecosystem
`----

http://www.mspmentor.net/2010/05/25/digital-parallels-embraces-zenoss-for-managed-services/

Zombies, Open Source, and Bad Analogies

,----[ Quote ]
| I guess Vernon has not spent a lot of time
| watching zombie movies. Generally, at
| best, humans find a bit of respite from
| the zombies but they're still there.
| Usually waiting for George Romero to work
| on a sequel. But the point is, zombies
| generally win. While I'm not crazy about
| the zombie analogy, the same is true of
| open source. It's not really possible to
| kill off an open source project or the
| movement permanently. The licenses ensure
| that the code will always be there for
| someone else to pick it up. The community
| may suffer setbacks, but over time it will
| adapt to solve not only technical problems
| but also solve the business, legal, and
| social issues. Maybe more slowly than some
| of us would like, but like the undead, we
| have time. Maybe that zombie analogy isn't
| quite as bad as I thought.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/zombies-open-source-and-bad-analogies

FOSS Community Member Launches Documentation Project for Blind Linux User

,----[ Quote ]
| During a recent interview at technology
| blog The Stop, OSS community member Tony
| Baechler raised the issue of how difficult
| it is for visually-impaired Linux users to
| access documentation. He says that he
| would like to point other vision-impaired
| friends to Linux and open source software
| but custom audio tutorials designed
| specifically for the blind are almost non-
| existent.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/foss-community-member-launches-documentation-project-for-blind-linux-user

"It's easier for our software to compete with Linux when there's piracy
than when there's not."

                   --Bill Gates

Recent:

Rampant piracy affects open source in Africa

,----[ Quote ]
| When people can access cheap pirated
| software, they do not invest in
| customization of open-source software, and
| this "affects the growth of open-source-
| based businesses and services," said Evans
| Ikua, chairman of the Linux Professional
| Association in Kenya.
`----

http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=B211CE43-1A64-67EA-E42879674C1270D8

Reactions to the problem of software pirates

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100519/OPINION/705189929/1099