[News] Patent Lawyers/Trolls and Monopolists Want Software Patents, the Rest Loathe Them

  • Subject: [News] Patent Lawyers/Trolls and Monopolists Want Software Patents, the Rest Loathe Them
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 15:24:13 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Guy Burgess ("I am a lawyer with an IT background practising in New Zealand."):

Protecting IP in a post-patent environment

,----[ Quote ]
| Recently the Government announced its
| intention to adopt a select committeeâs
| recommendation to âexclude software from
| patentabilityâ â that is, to ban software
| patents. Where will the ban â if
| implemented â leave local software
| developersâ ability to protect their
| intellectual property?
|
| How will the removal of software from
| patentability, if confirmed, affect the
| ability of local IT firms to protect the
| intellectual property in their software?
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/protecting-ip-in-a-post-patent-environment

Patents for Startups from an Anti-Patent P.O.V.

,----[ Quote ]
| If you have been working in the startup
| industry, then you may already be well
| aware of what venture capitalist Brad Feld
| calls "a massive tax on and retardant of
| innovation" - software patent litigation.
|
| In his blog post this morning, Feld points
| to the circular court battles of companies
| like Apple, Nokia and HTC and the
| "ridiculous nature of software patents" as
| reason enough for all members of the
| startup community to take an interest in
| this topic.
`----

http://www.readwriteweb.com/start/2010/05/patents-for-startups-from-an-a.php

Bilski And Patent Absurdity

,----[ Quote ]
| In the month since its release, the Free
| Software Foundation funded documentary
| film about software patents and the Bilski
| case, Patent Absurdity, has been viewed
| more than 100,000 times.  But are the
| people we most want to influence in the
| debate seeing it?
|
| The End Software Patents campaign is
| looking to identify the 200 people who are
| most influential to the software patent
| debate in the US, and are working with the
| well known venture capitalist and anti-
| software patent blogger Brad Feld to send
| a copy of the documentary film to them in
| the postal mail.
|
| End Software Patents director, Ciaran
| O'Riordan said, "Weâre looking for the key
| people in US patent politics, the software
| patent critics inside the big companies,
| the professors who support patents but
| might see why software doesnât fit that
| system, and anyone else that might
| consider giving our position some support
| when the post-Bilski debate erupts."
`----

http://www.muktware.com/news/25/2010/134

FDL Movie Night: Patent Absurdity â How Software Patents Broke the System

,----[ Quote ]
| Patent Absurdity takes a look at software
| patents, and makes what may seem to some
| to be radical points: That patenting
| software hurts innovation and harms
| inventors and consumers
`----

http://firedoglake.com/2010/05/24/fdl-movie-night-patent-absurdity-how-software-patents-broke-the-system/

The Wait Continues: Another Day Without a Bilski Decision

http://www.ipwatchdog.com/2010/05/24/the-wait-continues-another-day-without-a-bilski-decision/id=10719/

Bilski May Take Down Business Method Patents With Him

,----[ Quote ]
| As the Supreme Court issues its last
| decisions before the end of the spring
| session, intellectual-property lawyers
| have been asking: Where's Bilski?
|
| This is the case that may deliver a
| knockout blow to business method patents,
| those patents that everybody from free-
| software zealots to conservative
| Republicans love to hate. Inventors
| Bernard Bilski and Rand Warsaw wanted to
| patent a novel method for hedging against
| weather-driven changes in energy prices,
| but the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
| wouldn't even give them a hearing. The
| Supreme Court is expected to uphold that
| brush-off, and the big question is whether
| it will do so in a way that eliminates
| forever dubious patents like the infamous
| government monopoly Amazon.com obtained on
| one-click purchases.
`----

http://blogs.forbes.com/docket/2010/05/25/bilski-may-take-down-business-method-patents-with-him/

Legal Briefing: When Can You Patent Math? Supreme Court Must Decide

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the most eagerly watched cases
| pending before the Supreme Court is Bilski
| v. Kappos, which will shape the scope of
| patent law in profound ways. Bernard
| Bilski and Rand Warsaw created and sought
| to patent a way of using complex math to
| hedge against demand-driven commodity
| price risk -- for example, helping a
| school system cope with heating oil prices
| spiking because an extra cold winter
| creates unusually high demand, or helping
| a fuel dealer handle the opposite
| situation. The Bilski/Warsaw idea is a
| "method of doing business by evening out
| risk among those in an ongoing economic
| transaction," as SCOTUSblog put it.
`----

http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/legal-briefing-patent-math-supreme-court/19490309/

1.Patentable? The Issue of Software and Business Methods

http://ca.linexlegal.com/index.php?cid=625223

Enlarged Board of Appeal confirms approach to controversial software patents

http://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=3a9c1592-8f6f-4767-8a8a-bfd47f37dbba

USPTO Rising Allowance Rate

,----[ Quote ]
| The USPTO issued more patents during the
| past two weeks than in any fortnight in
| history.  A primary driver of that upswing
| appears to be a dramatic rise in the
| allowance rate.
`----

http://www.patentlyo.com/patent/2010/05/uspto-rising-allowance-rate.html

Recent:

Amazon 1-Click Patent Survives Almost Unscathed

,----[ Quote ]
| Zordak writes "Amazon's infamous '1-click'
| patent has been in reexamination at the
| USPTO for almost four years. Patently-O now
| reports that 'the USPTO confirmed the
| patentability of original claims 6-10 and
| amended claims 1-5 and 11-26. The approved-
| of amendment adds the seeming trivial
| limitation that the one-click system
| operates as part of a 'shopping cart model.'
| Thus, to infringe the new version of the
| patent, an eCommerce retailer must use a
| shopping cart model (presumably non-1-click)
| alongside of the 1-click version. Because
| most retail eCommerce sites still use the
| shopping cart model, the added limitation
| appears to have no practical impact on the
| patent scope.'"
`----

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/10/03/10/1950246/Amazon-1-Click-Patent-Survives-Almost-Unscathed

Microsoft Decides It Can't Compete With Salesforce.com; Sues For Patent Infringement Instead