[News] Many GNU/Linux Applications in Review, GNOME Shell 2.31.2 Released

  • Subject: [News] Many GNU/Linux Applications in Review, GNOME Shell 2.31.2 Released
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 20:13:49 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Gxine Media Player: Just Press Play

,----[ Quote ]
| The world of open source software has lots
| of options for editing and manipulating
| audio and video media files. However, when
| you want to just sit back and watch, Gxine
| will get the job done, usually with minimal
| fuss. Don't look to the app for a built-in
| help file, though -- if you need to work out
| a problem with this community-supported
| project, a little online leg work will be in
| order.
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Gxine-Media-Player-Just-Press-Play-70068.html

GNOME Shell 2.31.2 Released [Screenshots]

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/05/gnome-shell-2312-released-screenshots.html

7 (More) Best Free/Open-source Backup Software for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Since there are still several excellent free
| and open source backup software that I
| failed to mention the last time, I decided
| to once again gather another list of some of
| the best backup software that are available
| for Linux.
`----

http://www.junauza.com/2010/05/7-more-freeopen-source-backup-software.html

Snazzy Zaz is one fun puzzler

,----[ Quote ]
| If youâre tired of the same old âmatch
| threeâ games, we have a fun alternative for
| you. In Zaz, you control a vehicle or a
| grabber on a predefined path, and by
| dragging and dropping you arrange different
| colored balls in triplets to make them
| explode and disappear. The game can be
| played in sequential mode, where the player
| proceeds through one level after another, or
| survival mode, where the battle is fought on
| a single level with more and more different
| balls appearing over time and the game
| speeding up until the player can no longer
| handle the pressure.
`----

http://sourceforge.net/blog/snazzy-zaz-is-one-fun-puzzler/

Words to live by

,----[ Quote ]
| I only have a few minutes this evening, so
| rather than share something of my own
| creation, I shall borrow the words of
| BoneKracker, who had this to say when
| discussing a preference for the command line
| over a file manager.
|
|     (File managers) just get in the way and
|     slow you down. Itâs like having somebody
|     holding a map in front of your face when
|     youâre trying to drive.
`----

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2010/05/26/words-to-live-by/

Crebs: The ULTIMATE Wallpaper Slideshow application

,----[ Quote ]
| A few days ago we blogged about a simple
| wallpaper slideshow generator called,
| somewhat un-surprisingly, âwallpaper
| slideshowâ.
|
| Wellâ forget that application as the
| following wallpaper slideshow maker is
| easily more capable, configurable and darn-
| right cool.
`----

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/05/crebs-ultimate-wallpaper-slideshow.html

8 of the Best Free Linux Video Editors

,----[ Quote ]
| Video editing is the process of editing
| motion video footage. In the new age of
| personal video, video editing is becoming a
| central function of the desktop, with the
| popularity of video editing software ever
| increasing.
`----

http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/20100523032629714/VideoEditors.html

Why Can't We All Use Chromium Instead of Google Chrome?

,----[ Quote ]
| This is something I always asked myself. How
| is Google Chrome different from Chromium.
| Apart from the logo, there is hardly any
| difference visually between the two. So I
| decided to dig further. Here are some of the
| interesting facts you should know.
`----

http://www.techdrivein.com/2010/05/why-cant-we-all-use-chromium-instead-of.html

Photo Rec - Linux saving your deleted data

,----[ Quote ]
| PhotoRec is a recovery software for data and
| files, designed to recover lost files
| including video, documents and files on hard
| disks, CD-ROMs, pictures and images (hence
| the name Photo Recovery) from digital
| camera's memory.
`----

http://www.ghabuntu.com/2010/05/photo-rec-linux-saving-your-deleted.html

LightZone review

,----[ Quote ]
| LightZone has come a long way from its
| previous versions and is probably the finest
| option Linux users have for photo editing.
| Extremely useful features include the
| Regions and Zones support. Itâs great value
| for money, although those familiar with
| Photoshop or Aperture might find it lacking
| in terms of usability and power features.
`----

http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/reviews/lightzone-review/

View3ds, simple viewer for 3D Studio files and Video4Linux Loopback Device.

,----[ Quote ]
| This is simple realtime 3DS file previewer
| based on the lib3ds library by J.E.
| Hoffmann. It won't display any 3DS model,
| but it can properly display 3DS scenes.
| lib3ds was developed as part of the support
| libraries for FAMP, the Free Animation and
| Modeling Project.
`----

http://ubuntulandforever.blogspot.com/2010/05/view3ds-simple-viewer-for-3d-studio.html

Recent:

More cool gnome-shell tips and tricks

,----[ Quote ]
| If you have been reading Ghacks within the
| last month, you know that I have become a big
| fan of what will eventually become GNOME 3.
| That replacement is currently under the title
| GNOME Shell and it is already quite a stunning
| piece of work. I have covered GNOME Shell in a
| few pieces here (Check out all the GNOME Shell
| content on Ghacks) and, after further usage, I
| thought it was a good time for a few more tips
| and tricks.
`----

http://www.ghacks.net/2010/04/24/more-cool-gnome-shell-tips-and-tricks/

I have seen the future, and it is GNOME 3

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=1405