[News] Government of Turkey Paves Way to Free Software

  • Subject: [News] Government of Turkey Paves Way to Free Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 21:28:55 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

TR: Ministry of Justice and law courts consider open source desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| Turkey's ministry of Justice, all of its
| institutions and all law courts are
| considering to move or partly move to a
| complete open source desktop, according to
| judge Cengiz Tanrikulu. That migration would
| complete the implementation of an
| information system built on open source
| software, the National Judiciary Informatics
| System (UYAP, Ulusal Yargi AÄi Projesi).
|
| Judge Tanrikulu, involved in the development
| of UYAP, said the government's law offices
| are considering a move to Pardus, a Linux
| distribution primarily developed by Turkey's
| Research Institute of Electronics and
| Cryptology. "We are already using OpenOffice
| on all of the desktops. We began using
| OpenOffice in 2007 and it has helped us to
| save billions."
|
| The judge presented UYAP in Amsterdam in a
| workshop organised by NOiV, the Dutch
| government project on open standards and
| open source, on Wednesday.
|
| Development of UYAP started in 2000 with a
| document management system, built using open
| source components. It offers access to legal
| documents to civil workers at the ministry,
| at law courts, police, prisons, prosecution,
| Home Office and to the Land Registry. The
| system can also be accessed by any mobile
| phone.
`----

http://www.osor.eu/news/tr-ministry-of-justice-and-law-courts-consider-open-source-desktop

European Union lost open source decision C(2006) 7108

,----[ Quote ]
| A final version of the decision is not found
| in the register. In Europe you can file a
| request for public document access under the
| regulation EC/1049/2001 and usually get what
| you ask for. IDABC is now superceded by a
| new EU programme for interoperability, ISA.
| Apparently the Commission decision was later
| updated when the 1.1 version of the European
| Union Public License was approved. The EUPL
| is a wise choice for software from the
| public sector and enterprises as it is the
| legally best reviewed license for European
| market jurisdictions, available in all EU
| languages, it does not contain a political
| agenda and is compatible to most common
| licenses such as the GPL.
`----

http://arebentisch.wordpress.com/2010/05/27/european-union-open-source-decision-c2006-7108/

Recent:

Interview with Pardus Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| I recently did an interview on Python with the
| Pardus Linux magazine. Pardus Linux is a
| distribution developed in Turkey (by the
| Turkish National Research Institute of
| Electronics and Cryptology) with the goal of
| being usable by "normal" people rather than
| just geeks.
|
| Pardus are great supporters and users of
| Python. A while ago they chose Python as their
| standard language for custom package and
| configuration management tools.
`----

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/weblog/arch_d7_2010_01_30.shtml#e1154

Pardus 2009.1 review