[News] Latest Open Access/Content and Open Data Wins

  • Subject: [News] Latest Open Access/Content and Open Data Wins
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 21:43:53 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Over Bogus Industry Studies On Co

,----[ Quote ]
| CC Korea prepares "The 1st Shared Film
| Festival" for showing and sharing global
| movies with CC License. The festival,
| lasting from June 3 to June 9, will be held
| at Cine-maru located in Seoul, South Korea.
`----

http://www.creativecommons.or.kr/global/article/137

What We Can Learn From the Guardianâs New Open Platform

,----[ Quote ]
| The Guardian isnât the kind of tech-savvy
| enterprise one would normally look to for
| guidance on digital issues or Internet-
| related topics. For one thing, itâs not a
| startup â itâs a 190-year-old newspaper. And
| itâs not based in Palo Alto, Calif., but in
| London Manchester, England. The newspaper
| company, however, is doing something fairly
| revolutionary by simply changing the way it
| thinks about value creation and where that
| comes from in an online world.
`----

http://gigaom.com/2010/05/25/what-we-can-learn-from-the-guardian%E2%80%99s-new-open-platform/

DRM: Publishers donât want it. So why?

,----[ Quote ]
| I should make it clear that although I
| campaign gently for Open Access publishing
| (as opposed to frenetically for Open Data) I
| accept that there are closed-access
| publishers. My concern there is that they
| make it clear what they are providing, what
| rights they have extracted from the author,
| what restrictions they have placed on the
| reader (sorry, enduser-customer) and whether
| they provide reasonable value for money. For
| example, a closed-access publisher usually
| has an Open Access option where authors can
| pay â in some cases this is very good value
| (e.g. Acta Crystallographica) and in others
| (ACS) itâs very poor (the freely visible
| material is not open and festooned with
| restrictions).
`----

http://wwmm.ch.cam.ac.uk/blogs/murrayrust/?p=2437

Open Government and open data

,----[ Quote ]
| In a classic example of the Broken Window
| Fallacy successive governments have regarded
| the data they, or government-supported
| monopolies such as the Post Office,
| collected as the governmentâs property to be
| monetised to the hilt. They have also kept
| many details of their own working practices
| secret. In this article I will deal with the
| case for as much openness as is possible in
| both these areas: government produced data
| and data about government.
|
| So, first on government produced data. The
| previous government had some good track
| record on the principles here, passing the
| Freedom of Information Act and setting up
| data.gov.uk. The principles were right here,
| but they failed to go the distance and truly
| change the attitudes embedded in government
| that data by default should be kept secret
| and only opened up when necessary. the
| incoming government need to work hard to
| change this attitude and free the data.
| Unless it is PII (see Lilianâs article on
| the challenges for the new government on
| privacy) government data should be free (as
| in speech). Very narrow lines requiring
| significant work to justify closure should
| be put in place otherwise.
`----

http://www.openrightsgroup.org/blog/2010/open-government

Academia as a Commons

,----[ Quote ]
| The very mission and identity of academia is
| implicated in the future of digital
| technologies, the Internet and copyright
| law. At stake is the ability of colleges and
| universities to act as inter-generational
| stewards of knowledgeâ to assure that their
| own scholarly output is freely accessible
| and usableâ. to curate knowledge in better
| ways and to disseminate it as broadly as
| possibleâ.and to foster innovative research
| and learning.
`----

http://onthecommons.org/content.php?id=2723

Recent:

US academic leaders support open-access bill

http://www.campusreview.com.au/pages/section/article.php?s=Topics&ss=International&idArticle=16022

Open Access to Nobel Prize awarded work â a pilot project

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.sciecom.org/ojs/index.php/sciecominfo/article/view/3624