[News] What Novell's Sale Would Mean to Ballnux and Mono

  • Subject: [News] What Novell's Sale Would Mean to Ballnux and Mono
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 21:51:02 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Novell Sells: But Whoâs Buying?

,----[ Quote ]
| Right, so, Novell is up for sale and thereâs | a couple dozen potential buyers.
|
| First, let me tell you what is not going to
| happen:
|
| Microsoft is not going to buy Novell.
|
| Novell has served their purpose to
| Microsoft, which is basically acting as a
| lap-dog and providing Microsoft with good PR
| while simultaneously dividing and hurting
| the FLOSS community.
|
| Microsoft could not have hoped for a better
| partner in the Open Source space, but Novell
| is of ever-diminishing use to their Redmond
| masters: anyone naÃve enough to accept
| Microsoftâs âgolly-gee-weâve-changedâ
| overtures has done so and Microsoft is now
| backing off âinteroperabilityâ talk and
| going back to the âcustomers just want one
| solution from one providerâ strategy in
| public (which they never changed in private,
| mind you.)
|
| Furthermore, Microsoft wants nothing to do
| directly with selling Linux. Novell served
| as a DMZ between the GPL and Microsoft, and
| staring across a DMZ is about as close to
| Linux as Microsoft wants to get. Microsoft
| is not about to get into the business of
| directly distributing/selling/supporting
| Linux.
|
| [...]
|
| OpenSUSE is greatly diminished under this
| scenario: as a community-only distro and
| without corporate backing, itâs looking at
| the bottom end of the Top 10 List. With
| Novellâs stained name out of the picture,
| OpenSUSE may become acceptable to people who
| actually care about FLOSS, so I wonât count
| it out of the picture.
|
| Team Apologista takes a major hit, but sadly
| probably not a finishing blow. I wouldnât be
| surprised to see a Mono-based spinoff.
| Thereâs money to be made there and Lord
| knows Team Apologista has some players with
| personal, professional and emotional
| investment in Mono that guarantees they
| wonât be giving up that fight.
`----

http://www.the-source.com/2010/05/novell-sells-but-whos-buying/

openSUSE 11.3 Milestone 7: Preparing for RC Phase

http://news.opensuse.org/2010/05/26/opensuse-11-3-milestone-7-preparing-for-rc-phase/

YaST: Yet Another Setup Tool

,----[ Quote ]
| Continuing with our look into OpenSuSE, we
| examine YaST. One of the best things going
| for OpenSuSE (and SuSE as well) is their
| take on the tried and true âcontrol panalâ
| YaST. YaST is, quite literally, a one-stop-
| shop for configuring Linux. Among the
| cornucopia of Linux configuration tools,
| YaST might very well be the top of the heap.
| Itâs really that good. And with reason. YaST
| has been around for a long, long time, so
| itâs had plenty of time to mature.
`----

http://www.ghacks.net/2010/05/27/yast-yet-another-setup-tool/

GNOME Do, the Mono  Trojan, gets replacements:

Launchy vs. GNOME Do vs. Kupfer

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://maketecheasier.com/launchy-vs-gnome-do-vs-kupfer/2010/05/27