[News] Reviews and New Introductions to GNU/Linux Applications, Mostly for DVD Burning

  • Subject: [News] Reviews and New Introductions to GNU/Linux Applications, Mostly for DVD Burning
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 10:01:07 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

REVIEW: DeVeDe 3.16.8 â DVD made easy!

,----[ Quote ]
| Upon loading DeVeDe you are presented with
| a screen which asks you what type of disk
| you are creating.  In my instance it was
| DVD video, although there are offers of
| VideoCD, Super VideoCD, China VideoDisc and
| DivX/Mpeg-4  too.  Next up you select the
| titles for your buttons on your menu screen
| and with a quick click to the adjacent box
| to select the files that are going to be
| played when this title is selected.  This
| is where DeVeDe 3.16.8 really impresses and
| taking the worry of all those command line
| options away, it will automatically convert
| your files into DVD compliant format.
| After that its rinse and repeat for any
| other titles you want on your disk.  NTSC
| and PAL are both catered for and there is a
| status bar to show you how much room you
| have left on the disk.
`----

http://openbytes.wordpress.com/2010/05/28/review-devede-3-16-8-dvd-made-easy/

Building DVD discs with Bombono

,----[ Quote ]
| DVD authoring can be a deceptively tricky
| business. Though it can take some time to
| convert source video to the proper MPEG
| format, the technical requirements for the
| various regions are standardized, so it is
| at least possible to configure the
| conversion tools and do it right, once and
| for all. What cannot be automated is
| building the disc structure that
| distinguishes a user-friendly disc with
| chapters, eye-pleasing menus, and a file
| hierarchy that makes sense from a down-and-
| dirty, technically-it-plays-but-it-looks-
| awful amateur job.
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/388191/

fbterm: Birth of the cool for the console

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2010/05/28/fbterm-birth-of-the-cool-for-the-console/

Minitunes

,----[ Quote ]
| Minitunes is just another music player,
| only better. It is currently being
| developed, so you cannot download it at
| this time. But you can stay up to date by
| reading the developerâs log (RSS).
| Minitunes will be available on Linux, Mac
| and hopefully Windows.
`----

http://flavio.tordini.org/minitunes

Calculator Application For Ubuntu Maverick Now Faster Than Chromium!

http://techie-buzz.com/foss/calculator-application-for-ubuntu-maverick-now-faster-than-chromium.html

Recent:

Legalizing Linux DVD Playback: Why Bother?

,----[ Quote ]
| CSS is licensed by the DVD Copy Control
| Association, which works in lock-step with the
| Motion Picture Association of America to
| prevent copyright violations. The upshot of
| the CSS license is this: if you have a DVD
| playback device, then you need to license the
| CSS encryption code. No license, then no DVD.
`----

http://www.itworld.com/node/105736

Bombono DVDâOpen-Source DVD Authoring Software

,----[ Quote ]
| Bombono is a simple to use DVD authoring
| program that doesn't have the steep learning
| curve of many others in its field. Or in the
| words of the Web site: âBombono DVD is a DVD
| authoring program for Linux. It is easy to use
| and has nice and clean GUI (Gtk).â
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/bombono-dvd%E2%80%94open-source-dvd-authoring-software

Bombono DVD - Easy to use program for making DVD video discs

,----[ Quote ]
| Bombono DVD is easy to use program for making
| DVD video discs. This program allows you to
| get video on optical discs without knowing
| many technical details. It provides the full
| authoring sequence: making chapters while
| browsing videos, custom menu creation,
| authoring, and optionally burning on DVD.
| Also, it features the interesting feature of
| re-authoring, which allows one to get video
| back from DVDs.
`----

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/bombono-dvd-easy-to-use-program-for-making-dvd-video-discs.html

KDE vs. GNOME: DVD Tools and Desktop Design

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3880076/KDE-vs-GNOME-DVD-Tools-and-Desktop-Design.htm