[News] Gartner Lies About Nokia's Linux Sales, Meego Reviewed, Introduced

  • Subject: [News] Gartner Lies About Nokia's Linux Sales, Meego Reviewed, Introduced
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 10:58:41 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Nokia refutes N900 poor sales claims

,----[ Quote ]
| According to an earlier Reuters report
| based on Gartner figures, Nokia only
| managed to sell less than 100,000 top-of-
| the-range N900 smartphones in its first
| five months on the market.
|
| However, Nokia has since told The INQUIRER
| that the original figure quoted by Reuters
| was incorrect, and that it actually sold
| more than 100,000 Nokia N900s in the first
| five weeks.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1651102/nokia-refutes-n900-poor-sales-claims

Intel and Nokia release MeeGo v1.0

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Intel-and-Nokia-release-MeeGo-v1-0-1008900.html

Meego releases a netbook edition

,----[ Quote ]
| Meego is facing stiff competition from
| Google's Android and Chrome operating
| systems, Canonical's Ubuntu Netbook Remix
| and Microsoft's Windows 7 Starter Edition.
| Like Canonical's and Google's products,
| Meego is based on the open source Linux
| kernel.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1650760/meego-releases-netbook-edition

Hands-on: MeeGo for netbooks picks up where Moblin left off

,----[ Quote ]
| Moblin 2 had its own custom Web browser
| that brought together a unique Clutter-
| based user interface and Mozilla's Gecko
| HTML rendering engine. It was a very
| compelling idea because it opened the door
| to a browsing experience with rich visual
| affects and more fluid platform
| integration. Although the concept is
| intriguing in theory, it was very difficult
| for Intel to execute on. The custom browser
| was incomplete and somewhat dysfunctional
| when we reviewed Moblin last year. Intel
| has ditched the custom browser and chose to
| adopt Google Chrome for MeeGo.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/reviews/2010/05/hands-on-meego-for-netbooks-picks-up-where-moblin-left-off.ars

Nokia, Opera side with Adobe on Flash

,----[ Quote ]
| Nokia and Opera Software have taken sides
| in the Adobe-Apple battle over Flash
| multimedia support: They are in the Flash
| camp.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-20006259-266.html

Recent:

MeeGo 1.0 (Moblin + Maemo) - Linux Based OS By Intel And Nokia - Has Been Released!

,----[ Quote ]
| ConnMan (which is sponsored by both Intel
| and Nokia) is used for connection management
| - application which Ubuntu will also use for
| its 10.10 Netbook Edition, as well as
| Telephony APIs (oFono) for telephony
| services.
`----

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/05/meego-10-has-been-released.html

MeeGo Netbook Performance: It's Beating Ubuntu & Co

,----[ Quote ]
| Finally, we have our Bootchart numbers for
| the four distributions. With Fedora 13,
| prior to collecting the boot metrics, we set
| the GDM to automatically login to the GNOME
| desktop, since the three other desktops all
| use auto-logins as well.
|
| Fedora 13 had a boot time of 23 seconds,
| Moblin 2.1 had a boot time of 18.45 seconds,
| Ubuntu Netbook Remix 10.04 came in at 17.31
| seconds, and MeeGo had a boot time of just
| 8.151 seconds.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=meego_10_perf&num=1

Impressions of the latest MeeGo release

,----[ Quote ]
| MeeGo, in its first release, is pretty damn
| good, and this coming from a KDE loving
| maniac! It used to be Maemo, all Gtk in the
| backend, but now it is MeeGo with Qt (v4.6)
| as its backend now with a really nice MeeGo
| API as well. With MeeGo using Qt, KDE apps
| and Qt apps integrate nicely. What I donât
| get is this, why in the hell are all of the
| Apps Gtk-based then? Chromium, OK I can
| understand, it is an amazing browser, and my
| browser of choice right now. Banshee? I
| think Amarok would have been a better app
| for media. Evolution? Oh hell no! I would
| rather they ship Mutt. You want me to say
| KMail or Kontact donât you? Well I wonât,
| just yet. If I used POP3 for email, then
| yes, KMail/Kontact for the win! But seeing
| as I am lazy and use GMailâs IMAP settings,
| KMail needs help here. Thunderbird seems
| like a good choice, but for what I am
| guessing to be as a netbook operating system
| for those who arenât hardcore mostly, I
| would think KMail/Kontact would be perfect.
| You canât beat Kontactâs tight integration,
| you canât, so donât even try to argue that.
| Empathy is nice and light, so I understand
| it, even though I do not like it. I would
| have loved to have seen Kopete here,
| especially with its Skype plugin.
|
| Overall though, I am still impressed with
| MeeGo, though I donât think it is my
| replacement for the KDE Plasma Netbook
| Workspace. I think it is a perfectly fine
| solution for many though, and I am excited
| to see the ongoing work that is going into
| it. I know a few of the developers and I
| know they will be doing an amazing job on it
| in the future, especially as it starts
| getting on the more mobile devices out
| there. It uses Yum/RPM, which took me a few
| minutes to get used to again, but package
| management was as fast as I am used to when
| using APT or some other Debian package
| manager.
|
| Good job MeeGo devs, and keep up the good
| work! I am fairly certain my review here
| sucked, so if you have any questions, please
| do not hesitate to ask them in the comments
| section, or email me at nixternal AT gmail
| DOT com, or even hit me up on IRC (freenode)
| as nixternal.
`----

http://blog.nixternal.com/2010.05.27/impressions-of-the-latest-meego-release/

MeeGo, the new netbook Linux, arrives

,----[ Quote ]
| Take one part Intel's Moblin, mix with
| Nokia's Maemo, bake for three months in
| the Linux Foundation oven, and you get
| MeeGo. Linux Foundation executive
| director, Jim Zemlin has called this new
| embedded Linux, the open-source uber-
| platform for the next generation of
| computing devices: tablets, pocketable
| computers, netbooks, automotive IVI (In-
| Vehicle Infotainment) and more."
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/16198/meego_the_new_netbook_linux_arrives

MeeGo 1.0 For Netbooks And Nokia N900, Now Available For Download

,----[ Quote ]
| MeeGo is an open source Linux Project
| which integrates the Moblin project headed
| by Intel and Maemo headed by Nokia, into a
| single open source platform. MeeGo
| platform delievers no-compromise web
| standards and rich web experience to the
| Netbooks and mobile devices. MeeGoâs
| immense popularity is based on the fact
| that it includes flexible and powerful app
| development environment based on Qt.
`----

http://www.blogsdna.com/10543/meego-1-0-for-netbooks-and-nokia-n900-now-available-for-download.htm

MeeGo Using Btrfs As Default File-System

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODIzOA