[News] Android/Linux is Moving Everywhere, Not Just Phones

  • Subject: [News] Android/Linux is Moving Everywhere, Not Just Phones
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 11:02:13 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

IT Infrastructure: Android, Chrome Power Open-Source Google TV Platform

,----[ Quote ]
| More than 4 billion TV users exist in the
| world. Americans watch an average of five
| hours of TV per day.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/IT-Infrastructure/Android-Chrome-Power-OpenSource-Google-TV-Platform-608983/

Is Android the Closest Thing to a Linux Phone There is Ever Going to Be?

,----[ Quote ]
| Instead of Android being the best that
| Linux will ever get on a portable device,
| itâs actually the first step into having
| open systems on mobile platforms. As
| Android gets into the netbook and tablet
| market, it will only get better for Linux
| users. People will learn to trust these
| open platforms and find out that these work
| out just as well as other types of
| platforms. The flexibility felt with these
| will be superior to other platforms that
| are more closed and controlled where users
| canât make personal choices.
`----

http://www.booshnews.com/2010/05/27/is-android-the-closest-thing-to-a-linux-phone-there-is-ever-going-to-be/

What Makes Android Tick

,----[ Quote ]
| "The open operating system offered by
| Google doesn't necessarily translate to
| openness for users," Hazelton said. "In
| some cases when you lock down a smartphone,
| it's almost like running around the
| Internet on AOL. It's just like going back
| to the 'walled garden' on feature phones."
|
| The idea of openness may have gotten away
| from Google with regard to Android, he
| said. Initially, the goal for Android was
| to create a mobile platform that would
| spotlight Google's features -- maps,
| search, cloud-based applications. The Nexus
| One is Google's attempt to create just that
| phone, even though the versions of Android
| phones sold by other handset makers may not
| live up to the Googleplex's ideal for a
| smartphone.
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/70093.html?wlc=1275155782