[News] Mozilla Firefox 4 Eyed, Speed Improved, Decade Milestone for Asa

  • Subject: [News] Mozilla Firefox 4 Eyed, Speed Improved, Decade Milestone for Asa
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 11:27:54 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Mozilla prepares coders for Firefox 4 features

,----[ Quote ]
| It was with delight that I read these words
| on Thursday: "The proposed IndexedDB
| standard, which provides a local database
| store for Web applications, will be
| supported by Firefox 4."
|
| The statement appears on Mozilla's new
| Firefox 4 for developers site, boding well
| for those of us who use the Web a lot: the
| IndexedDB interface gives Web applications
| a way to work even without a network
| connection.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20006239-264.html

Chromium on Ubuntu 10.04 Slower than Firefox?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://millionchimpanzees.blogspot.com/2010/05/chromium-on-ubuntu-1004-slower-than.html

10 years @ Mozilla

,----[ Quote ]
| Today marks 10 years of continuous full-
| time employment working on Mozilla.
|
| I still can't believe I get to work with so
| many amazing people. It's pretty much the
| best job ever.
|
| Thank you to all the Mozillians that have
| made this such a wonderful decade.
`----

http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/asa/archives/2010/05/10_years_mozilla.html

Firefox 64-bit builds coming for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X

http://mozillalinks.org/wp/2010/05/firefox-64-bit-builds-coming-for-windows-linux-and-mac-os-x/

Firefox 3.6.4 release candidate available for download and testing

https://developer.mozilla.org/devnews/index.php/2010/05/28/firefox-3-6-4-release-candidate-available-for-download-and-testing/

screw you, firefox tab complete!

,----[ Quote ]
| For some reason that is completely
| unfathomable to me, the URL that's shown as
| hilighted in firefox's URL window can get
| out of sync with options that show up in
| the drop down menu of possible
| alternatives, yet firefox gives preference
| to the drop down menu when you hit the TAB
| key to complete.
`----

http://spoonix.blogspot.com/2010/05/screw-you-firefox-tab-complete.html

Opera pokes fun at Chrome speed-test video

,----[ Quote ]
| Opera, ever scrappy in its effort to
| promote its browser over larger rivals, is
| poking fun at Google's recent video
| boasting about the speed of its Chrome
| browser.
|
| "The Opera browser is much faster than a
| potato," concludes Opera's low-budget
| video, which features herring-obsessed
| caricatured Scandinavians rolling the
| tubers into a pot of water at the same time
| Opera loads a Web page.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20006243-264.html

Recent:

Firefox 4 release plan: The need for speed

,----[ Quote ]
| "Performance is a huge, huge, huge thing
| for us," said Mike Beltzner, vice president
| of engineering for Firefox, in a Webcast on
| Tuesday about plans for the browser. "We
| created the performance story, and we've
| got to keep at it."
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20004620-264.html

Mozilla firms up Firefox 4 plans

,----[ Quote ]
| Mozilla has given a breakdown of its plans
| for Firefox 4, including a pledge to make
| it "super-duper fast".
|
| Perhaps the most striking change to Firefox
| 4 is the user interface, which takes a
| great deal of inspiration from Google
| Chrome. Though Mozilla was keen to note
| that the mockups shown in the presentation
| were subject to change, it's clear Firefox
| 4 will benefit from the design choices made
| by Google's pared-back browser.
`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/357844/mozilla-firms-up-firefox-4-plans

[SLIDES] Firefox 4- What to expect

,----[ Quote ]
| This is a preview of Firefox 4 from Mike
| Beltzner of the Mozilla Foundation
`----

http://www.ghabuntu.com/2010/05/slides-firefox-4-what-to-expect.html

Mozilla spills plan for, yes, Firefox 4

,----[ Quote ]
| Mozilla has confirmed that the next major
| upgrade to its open source browser will be
| known as Firefox 4.0.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/10/firefox_4_dot_o_plan/

Fedora, Mozilla, and trademarks

,----[ Quote ]
| Trademarks and free software can make a
| volatile mix. It is understandable that a
| project would want to ensure that code
| shipping under its name is "the real
| McCoy", but modifying the source and
| distributing the result is a hallmark of
| free software. Trademark policy can place
| limits on what changesâfor bugs, features,
| or even policy complianceâdownstream
| projects can make and still use the
| trademarked names. The tension between the
| two has led some, like Debian, to re-brand
| Mozilla projects, so that they can ship the
| changes they want; some Fedora developers
| would like to see that distribution follow
| suit.
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/384828/

Whatâs Next for Me (But Not Yet!)

,----[ Quote ]
| I just announced internally that after 5
| years at Mozilla, and a couple as the CEO,
| Iâve decided to leave later this year to
| join Greylock Partners as a venture
| partner.
`----

http://john.jubjubs.net/2010/05/11/whats-next-for-me-but-not-yet/