[News] GPL Violator Apple is Producing Boring Products, Blocking Firefox

  • Subject: [News] GPL Violator Apple is Producing Boring Products, Blocking Firefox
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 11:46:46 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

FSF take on Apple's App Store over GPL2 code

,----[ Quote ]
| The Free Software Foundation has said it has
| approached Apple because a GPL2 licensed
| application, a port of GNU Go, is available
| from Apple's App Store. The FSF say that
| distribution through the App Store is not in
| compliance with the GPL's conditions because
| they clash with Apple's terms and conditions.
| The developers of the application, are also
| not in compliance with the GPL as they do not
| currently distribute the source for the
| application. Brett Smith, writing on the FSF
| blog, is at pains to say that the FSF have not
| sued Apple or made any legal demand and says
| the only reason they are announcing this is
| because Apple has removed applications from
| the store before without explanation and that
| they want to prevent wild speculation.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/FSF-take-on-Apple-s-App-Store-over-GPL2-code-1008115.html

Fanboi's lament â falling out of love with the iPad

,----[ Quote ]
| As the iPad goes on sale in the UK (and
| eight other countries), I've had my own
| "magical and revolutionary" Apple tablet
| for exactly 56 days. And I'm using it less
| and less each day.
|
| My fading relationship with my iPad reminds
| me of a long-ago college fling with a young
| lovely. High anticipation, fervent
| consummation, growing familiarization,
| decreasing fascination, and the inevitable:
| "No, hon, it's not you. It's me."
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/28/ipad_love_affair_goes_sour/

Mozilla sidesteps iPhone code ban with Firefox Home

,----[ Quote ]
| Mozilla won't submit a Firefox browser to
| Apple's iPhone App Store. It has no
| intention of taking its browser where "it's
| not wanted." But the open source outfit is
| developing an iPhone incarnation of Firefox
| Sync, the browser bookmark-syncing service
| formerly known as Weave.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/27/firefox_home_on_iphone/

Recent:

DOJ inquires about Apple's hold on digital music

,----[ Quote ]
| The U.S. Department of Justice has begun asking
| questions about Apple's role in the recent
| scaling back of special music discounts and
| promotions at Amazon, according to two high
| level music industry sources.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-20005973-261.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

GPL Enforcement in Apple's App Store