[News] Software Patents -- Like Genetic Patents -- a Threat to Humanity

  • Subject: [News] Software Patents -- Like Genetic Patents -- a Threat to Humanity
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 12:04:38 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Monopolists of the Genetic Code?

,----[ Quote ]
| Last week, Craig Venter created a media
| frenzy â and a frenzy of bioethical hand-
| wringing â when he announced the creation
| of the first âsynthetic cell.â In reality,
| his team of researchers had created the
| first synthetic genome, the operating
| system of the cell. They had, in effect,
| switched the operating system of a
| particular cell to a new operating system
| that they had synthesized and edited.
|
| Though many of the headlines talked of
| Venter being God and having created life in
| the lab, that is not an accurate way to
| describe it. Venter started with a
| particular naturally occurring cell and
| effectively, de-compiled, analysed and then
| painstaking edited and reassembled that
| cellâs genome to create a version of the
| cell never found in nature. Researchers had
| already synthesized the genome of the polio
| virus, creating a genome that would
| actually âproduceâ a live virus that
| infected mice in the lab, but the size of
| that initiative was several orders of
| magnitude smaller. The significance of what
| Venterâs team did lay in the scale of the
| enterprise and the mastery of the code that
| it demonstrated. It is as if I took your
| computer, copied the operating system,
| figured out what each part of that system
| did, pruned, cut and edited its functions,
| and then reloaded a substantially edited
| system back into the computer â a version
| which actually proved capable of running
| it.
`----

http://www.thepublicdomain.org/2010/05/28/monopolists-of-the-genetic-code/

Monopolists of the Genetic Code?

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/4883637c-69d7-11df-8432-00144feab49a,Authorised=false.html?_i_location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ft.com%2Fcms%2Fs%2F0%2F4883637c-69d7-11df-8432-00144feab49a.html&_i_referer=

Benign for a change:

Scientists create first version of synthetic cell

http://asia.cnet.com/crave/2010/05/27/scientists-create-first-version-of-synthetic-cell/

Recent:

Lab to be first 'open-source' for genetic parts

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.physorg.com/wire-news/25889659/lab-to-be-first-open-source-for-genetic-parts.html