[News] New Fedora 13 Spin (Xfce) and Reviews

Fedora 13 Xfce Spinâget it while itâs hot!

,----[ Quote ]
| There were not a lot of vast changes in
| this cycle, but there were some nice tweaks
| and of course all the goodness of F13 as a
| base.
`----

http://scrye.com/wordpress-mu/nirik/2010/05/29/fedora-13-xfce-spin-get-it-while-its-hot/

Fedora 13 - interview and first look

,----[ Quote ]
| In general, I like the way the Fedora team
| approaches security. The installer insists
| on setting a root password and creating a
| regular user account. The distro enables
| SELinux out of the box and has convenient
| tools for managing SELinux policies. I like
| that encrypting partitions in the installer
| is very easy and intuitive. On the live CD
| edition, the firewall is enabled and
| OpenSSH turned off, though the firewall
| port for SSH is left open in case the user
| wishes to turn on the service later. The
| only quirk I found was non-root users had
| the ability to reboot or halt the machine.
| This probably isn't an issue for people
| logged in locally; after all it would be
| annoying to have to switch to the root
| account just to shut down the computer you
| are sitting in front of. However, the
| regular user accounts can also halt the
| machine remotely if secure shell is enabled
| without suing to root, a potential problem
| for the unaware admin.
|
| For the most part, Fedora 13 feels very
| similar to Fedora 12, a stable, modern and
| well put-together operating system.
| However, there are some things which stood
| out that I feel the need to complain about.
| Generally I don't like to focus on hardware
| compatibility, but Fedora 13 was a big
| regression for me, especially on the
| laptop. It took more resources, performed
| slower than the last release and didn't
| work with some of the hardware Fedora 11
| and 12 handled previously. Forcing users to
| download the entire DVD to choose their
| root file system is also, in my opinion, a
| poor design choice, one other distros with
| live CDs have avoided. Those problems
| aside, I generally liked my time with the
| latest Fedora, the project provides a good
| balance of new software with tried and true
| configuration tools. Worth a look if you're
| interested in trying new technology or
| would like to experience a polished SELinux
| implementation.
`----

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20100531#feature

Fedora core linux 13 âgoddardâ mini review

,----[ Quote ]
| The Fedora Project has been running since
| 2003 after Red Hat Linux was discontinued.
| With Red Hat Enterprise Linux being Red
| Hatâs official distribution, the Fedora
| project has since 2003 catered to the needs
| of the average desktop user looking to run
| a stable and free operating system which
| did everything he wanted and more.
| Distrowatch rates Fedora as the second most
| popular Linux based operating system after
| Ubuntu.
`----

http://www.techenclave.com/reviews-and-previews/fedora-core-linux-13-goddard-mini-167578.html

Recent: